Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:00 PM

evening lads
driving down outland road in plymouth last night,in heavy traffic, went to stick it into first, and it wouldnt go, so i blipped the throttle to help it go in, and it jammed wide open, for some reason id let the clutch up, so the car started moving, i ht the clutch, but my foot slipped off, and i ended up hitting the 3 series convertible in front :S
BUGGER!

so
the front end is f**ked, subframe and engine is fine (apart from the dizzy cap)
but panel work is dead for sure, amazingly, the lights are still ok, just 1 indicator lense....
i have, in another mini, a full set of front end panels, never fitted, which i intend to use.
but, im on a VERY tight budget, seeing as i have a £500 excess to find for the repair to this beamer....
im going to use the front panels i have, but ive decided to go down the flip front route, ive always wanted a flip front, and this seems like the perfect oportunity to do it
i was actually taking the car to my mates garage to start the prep for a respray at the time, so ill be fitting a new front end while im at it :P

back to the point.

flip fronting a 1990 mini
i dont really know how to go about it, i know i need brace bars, hinges, and a solid mounted front subframe
but i dont really knwo teh details of everything, and where to get it

coud someone list all the parts ill need to flip front my car? please, where to get it all, and a rough cost considering ive got teh panels?
cheers
any help would be great
nick

#2 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:38 PM

how come u didnt jsut turn it off?? lol sounds like a sticky throtal cable maybe or its snapped maybe.

i think you have to change all the subframe rubbers and that and fit braces and that.

itle never rust though!! :grin: :grin:

#3 hammoj28

hammoj28

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Local Club: Scottish Minis

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:17 PM

My throttle went sticky the other day when I was driving throught town. Dam that was embarrassing, good thing the police didn't see me!! iyt went away when I headed home on out in the country. shame about your crash mate.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 October 2004 - 11:38 PM

To save covering the ground again...

see...

http://www.theminifo...34&hl=flipfront

and...

http://www.theminifo...c=4273&hl=solid

and....

http://www.theminifo...c=4370&hl=solid

#5 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 29 October 2004 - 02:11 PM

thanks for all the help guys
ive cleaned up the front end panels i had, and they are all in good useable condition.
ive just odered a set of brace bars, a solid subframe mount kit and 4 dzus fastners from minispeed
so its all going to plan....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users