3 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:39 AM

As title really.. the hard plastic pipe came out of the brake servo along with the plastic nipple with a rubber bush on it! And no matter how much I try it won't go back in square, and as much as it goes in if u let go it fals out again!

Is it really meant to be an interference fit between the rubber and the brake servo? And can I get the nipple and connect another flexible hose to it rather than that plastic one which is very in the way of things in the engine bay?

Would like to get this sorted since I now have an inlet which has a vacuum take off so can have my power brakes again!

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:17 PM

Sorry, your servo will be very different than mine so I can't offer advice on its installation/connection. However, it's an absolute must that you fix this. NOT for proper brake operation... but for proper engine operation. An open brake servo vacuum line represents a HUGE air leak and I doubt your car will run at all with it open.

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:00 PM

Not a problem that, the vacuuom servo take off on the inlet is blocked off. :]

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:19 PM

Take the rubber grommet off the vacuum elbow and fit that to the servo first, then fit the elbow back into it. It is quite an easy fit, just twist it a little as you fit it and it should pop in nice and square. If it doesn't you need a new grommet.
You can indeed get flexible vacuum line, as that was what was originally fitted to older cars with remote servos. It is usually black with a yellow stripe to show that it is different to normal emissions hose. You need 9.5mm hose (ish) and shouldn't have too much trouble finding it on the net. Also Samco make silicon vacuum line in a range of sizes in all their usual colours. Don't be tempted to use normal emissions or coolant hose as they won't resist crushing. The easiest way to attach it to the inlet manifold (without the original pipe stub which is quite rare now) if the manifold is designed for the standard banjo is to use an oil transfer pipe (the one on the front of the block) as the banjo is the same. Clean the pipe up well and cut the top few inches off, then you can slip the vacuum hose over the end of it and clip it in the normal way. At the other end you have to use the plastic elbow, so you will need to cut the plastic hose off it carefully. The sheer bulk of the rubber hose makes fitting the plastic banjo to the inlet quite tricky so the metal one is easier and as you will find, fitting the plastic parts into the vacuum hose is a b***h so avoiding at least one of them is a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users