33 replies to this topic

#1 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

Ok I know what it is and what it looks like but not a clue how to do it.

Everyone I've asked seem to know it's a nightmare but none are primed with what's actually involved.

Only clues I have so far is

1. cut away seams in sections then weld up gaps and then grinds back until smooth

2. cut away seams in sections then weld plates from behind (held with rod tacked on) then fill with a lead filler and smooth.

I've no idea if either are right and what type of welding would be best? I'm guessing most people would use MIG?

Ade

#2 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:12 PM

most people use mig byt gas is better really because its stronger, two ways you've mentioned are correct although i'd opt for the welding plates behind method as it will be stronger.
My only advice is to only do it if you are a good welder and confident of you're bodywork skills, there is a lot of strength in those seams so if you get it wrong it will be disasterous if not life threatening!

I think this is covered in one of the vizard books in the body modification section.

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:38 PM

I would use mig/mag welding as it is stronger , it uses less heat on the material so it doesent distort as much or weaken the parent metal as gas (oxy-acetalene)welding would , also gas welding is now much frowned upon on cars as it causes oxadisation (RUST!) and structural failure on high-carbon steels ( it would be illigal to gas weld a modern car under the design and construction regulations)
I would also go with the "plate under" method , remove 10cm of seam by cutting each side close to the seam ,slide plate under and tack into position if you are happy with alighnment weld up 1cm at a time cooling between welds .
as said by Philster , only attempt if you are realy good at welding (or have a death wish !)

#4 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:39 PM

I'd TIG it. Chop out one section of seam at a time, and TIG along. A decent TIG would be really strong.

#5 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:58 PM

I fancy getting a tig , but they are too expensive :sad:
so i could have a go at stainless and ally fabrication ,
Is there any advantage in using a tig on mild steel ?

#6 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:02 PM

It looks a bit better :lol:. But seriously, I'm not relly sure, my welding skills are not all that special. But i have found that with a TIG, it's a lot easier to get a seamless finish.

#7 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:02 PM

talk to Flappyplasticbits, his shell is fully deseamed and flip fronted.

#8 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:58 PM

i thought he bought it like that though?

to be honist i dont think id want to dive a deseamed mini without something to strengthen it back up like a rollcage.

rob

#9 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:04 PM

yeh he bought it like that, but im sure he'll have some good input on what its like.

#10 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:28 PM

I'd like to do mine, I reckon it makes the car look a whole lot neater. Plus I can borrow the TIG welder at college :lol: .

#11 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:53 PM

in my opinion of seeing flappys, it does make the car look much much better when its done properly, and the right proportions of the car are kept. however on a safety aspect i probably wouldnt want to do it to any mini of mine.

#12 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:53 PM

i have a no gas mig welder, cheap as chips to run, no gas and very easy to use. Still would rate a gas setup over any other thou, just a matter of personal opinion i suppose.

#13 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:27 AM

The "no gas" migs are not as good as you dont have the gas cooling your weld so you get disstortion when welding thin steel like car bodywork , the coated wire is expensive and creates *woman of ill repute* on the welds like a stick welder .

#14 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:31 AM

it weekens the car alot and in my opinion makes it look like a bubble :tongue: but go for it !

#15 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:21 PM

The "no gas" migs are not as good as you dont have the gas cooling your weld so you get disstortion when welding thin steel like car bodywork , the coated wire is expensive and creates *woman of ill repute* on the welds like a stick welder .

Yes, no-gas welders are *******. No better than a filthy arc welder! Also worht nothing that it's not a good idea to use oxy-acetalene on a car body either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users