5 replies to this topic

#1 soopercooper

soopercooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

How do I get the current headlining out of my mk2 ? I've had a tug at it, but not sure if that's what you're supposed to do? - am afraid of damaging/bending the frame if I pull any harder.

Anyone know how to do this?

many thanks

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:50 PM

The headlining is glued to the body underneath the window seals. To remove it properly the windows & seals will need to be removed.
There are several metal rods which hold the headlining in place, they have different coloured ends, make sure you note the order in which they are removed.

Phil. :grin:

#3 millsminis

millsminis

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,882 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:52 PM

Turbo Phil beat me to it.

Yeah just remove the windows un-peel the headlining and let it hang on the metal rods then unhook the rods.

I did it the other week very easy to do just take your time so not to rip the existing headlining.

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:39 PM

STOP!!
Don't take out your windows, you don't need to. If your car really is a MkII with the real MkII headlining it is not held with the flimsy rods and glued around the window openings. If the headliner runs all the way to the window seals all the way around then you have a MkIII headliner fitted so proceed as above to remove it. If however the headliner is fitted above the cant rail and you can see the rail all the way around then you have the correct MkII headliner fitted and removing it is far simpler.
First you may have to remove the interior lamp, if it is screwed to the middle of the roof (but I think that may only apply to MkI cars). Then you grab the rear edge of the front section of the liner by its frame where it runs side to side accross the middle of the car. Try to wear some clean gloves or something to avoid marking the fabric and try not to leave finger dimples in it, as it is probably quite old and won't recover well having lost most of its elasticity.
Holding this rail, firmly but gently tug it toward the rear of the car. This will disengage it from the cant rail above the windscreen, and then you can flex it around the edges of the frame to release it from the cant rail along one side lowering it down into the car. The other side will then come away naturally. Be very careful with the frame as they are NLA I believe.
Do the same for the rear, but obviously pull it forward to begin instead of to the rear.
I seem to remember that you have to start with the front section, but it may be that you have to remove the rear first. It should be obvious on inspection which section will slide past the other.

#5 soopercooper

soopercooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:16 PM

STOP!!
Don't take out your windows, you don't need to. If your car really is a MkII with the real MkII headlining it is not held with the flimsy rods and glued around the window openings. If the headliner runs all the way to the window seals all the way around then you have a MkIII headliner fitted so proceed as above to remove it. If however the headliner is fitted above the cant rail and you can see the rail all the way around then you have the correct MkII headliner fitted and removing it is far simpler.
First you may have to remove the interior lamp, if it is screwed to the middle of the roof (but I think that may only apply to MkI cars). Then you grab the rear edge of the front section of the liner by its frame where it runs side to side accross the middle of the car. Try to wear some clean gloves or something to avoid marking the fabric and try not to leave finger dimples in it, as it is probably quite old and won't recover well having lost most of its elasticity.
Holding this rail, firmly but gently tug it toward the rear of the car. This will disengage it from the cant rail above the windscreen, and then you can flex it around the edges of the frame to release it from the cant rail along one side lowering it down into the car. The other side will then come away naturally. Be very careful with the frame as they are NLA I believe.
Do the same for the rear, but obviously pull it forward to begin instead of to the rear.
I seem to remember that you have to start with the front section, but it may be that you have to remove the rear first. It should be obvious on inspection which section will slide past the other.

many thanks!!

I do indeed have a mk2 with mk2 headlining - wasn't liking the prospect of removing the windows...

thanks again for the advice :grin:

#6 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:17 PM

Well spotted !! Glad you didn't take your windows out. :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users