#16 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:44 PM

thanks for the advice, dan. yeah she should be a right beast by the time ive finished tinkering...

#17 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:12 AM

well the heads gona have to wait a while, i wasnt able to bring it back as my little ends desided to die on me last night:( so iv now gota stip my engine! and only being able to do it veery now and again itl probably take till xmas, ah well time to add a cam, cross pin diff and centeral oil pickup....this is going to be intresting wynn in thr meantime i need a 998 or 1275 to keep me goin

#18 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:09 PM

mine died last night too, my stainless LCB decided to crack and split where the two outer exhaust downtubes link together to one pipe. £200! completely nackered...pics soon...

#19 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:30 PM

Budget LCB's are notorious for breaking, but @ 200 squid that's not budget...

Quick piccy..

Left, budget LCB, where the two down pipes are welded into a collector and then from that collector welded onto a single down pipe... generallt they will break on the welds..

Right, better, eg maniflow, the pipes are blended together and joined by a vertical weld, and then directly onto the down pipe... the weld contact for each pipe is much greater...

#20 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:24 PM

well, heres the culprit, it however bears a remarkable resemblance to the budget LCB that your diagram shows....it is stainless however...

#21 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:29 PM

mines the same as the 1 on the right, but manged to crakc along the weld! i think i know whats caused that james.... the excessive movemnt of ur engine and the stress it places though the manifold when at high tempretures

#22 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:40 PM

yeh i thought it would mainly be down to the movement of the engine, and the fact that the gearbox steady is completely perished...

does anyone know how to remove an LCB without taking out the engine, will i need to get it up on a 4 post lift? i have access to one...

#23 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:56 PM

LCB's can be removed with engine in, no worries, I find it easire to get the car up on ramps at the front, give a good level of access under the car...

1st, remove the Y piece under the car from the main exhaust, and then from the two down pipes.. and undo the stabaliser from the gearbox (if still fitted)

From above the car, remove the bolts retaining the carb and exhaust, you may have enough room just to move the carb to one side with out disconnecting it completely, but you may have to remove the fuel line, or remove completely.

You can now witdraw the center branch (LCB !! ) and then twisting it slightly as you lift the 2into1 branch comes out..

Refitting is exactly the above in reverse...

3 branch and the freeflow manifolds are a little more fiddly as all 3 pipes are connected in one unit.

#24 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:27 PM

thanks for that guessworks, removing the lcb should be ok i think now, just need some ramps... probably buy some from work today, in the meantime, its my trusty bike for transport lol

oh, and that Y piece, ive undun the exhaust clamps from around the 2 ends of the Y piece, but i cant prize off the 2 manifold pipes, could this be down to the fact that the Y piece is still connected to the rest of the exhaust system?

would a bit of persuasion and WD40 cure the problem?

cheers

#25 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 01:37 AM

alot of "umpty" lad

#26 Madmax

Madmax