PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

HELP!!!

Monty is smoking!!

The other day he was smoking near the heater bits out the window but the next few days he seemed ok. Now today, ive just got back and i switched the engine off and it smelt REALLY bad and sounded of bubbling, i lifted the bonnet and its smoking!! Smoking from where you put the oil in!!

WHAT do i do? Im scared, it better not blow up, ive only had it about 6 weeks!!!!

The temperate gauge thing is reading in between hot and cold.

Please help!

Raz xXx

#2 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Could it be a head gasket? or a split hose.

#3 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

HELP!!!

Monty is smoking!!

The other day he was smoking near the heater bits out the window but the next few days he seemed ok. Now today, ive just got back and i switched the engine off and it smelt REALLY bad and sounded of bubbling, i lifted the bonnet and its smoking!! Smoking from where you put the oil in!!

WHAT do i do? Im scared, it better not blow up, ive only had it about 6 weeks!!!!

The temperate gauge thing is reading in between hot and cold.

Please help!

Raz xXx

get your local mini friendly garage to look. is the water level ok? could be an air lock which is rearing its head now its hotter.

#4 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

I duno, you tell me ;)

ahaha! Im scared, duno what to do! I dont want to be without a car again and dont want it to blow up!! Ive left it cooling at the mo, because it was really hot and smelly.

Duno what to do, need the girl guide to cars ;)

Bet its guna b an expensive thing :@, altho its under warrenty for about 1 month

Raz xXx

#5 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

I duno, you tell me ;)

ahaha! Im scared, duno what to do! I dont want to be without a car again and dont want it to blow up!! Ive left it cooling at the mo, because it was really hot and smelly.

Duno what to do, need the girl guide to cars ;)

Bet its guna b an expensive thing :@, altho its under warrenty for about 1 month

Raz xXx

i'd give the mini place a ring back and see what they suggest. as its under warranty they should sort it for you. when he cools down, take the rad cap off and see if the water level is above the water holes. it may need topping up. thermostat could possibly have stuck closed aswell, this woulld maybe cause the problem.

#6 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

Okey Pokey

thanks i will do, going to ring or email him when dad gets back!!

hmmmm silly car

Raz xXx

#7 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

is it smoke or steam ???

last year, i pulled up at a roundabout in the cooper and what i thought was smoke just started pouring out of the edges of the bonnet. i thought he had had it !!!! ;)

turns out the heated manifold pipe had split and dumped all the coolant on the exhaust ;)

i just cut the end of the pipe off, clamped it back on, topped up the coolant (always carry spare) and off i went.

#8 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

Okey Pokey

thanks i will do, going to ring or email him when dad gets back!!

hmmmm silly car

Raz xXx

that they are! fifi isnt running right and i cant figure out why.

#9 incrediblerog

incrediblerog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

how about patches or gum? ;)

#10 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

;) it had to be done

Edited by DJH MINI MOTORSPORT, 16 April 2007 - 06:55 PM.

#11 minimad998

minimad998

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Local Club: not part of a club

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

um when you took the cap off the area where you put the oil in was there a white scum on it?

#12 Bec

Bec

Crazy About Mini's

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

Awww hope Monty gets well soon!

I had a similar experience after a mini garage left a hose off my radiator but the trip back to my house was quite long and won't say the ending because you've spotted Monty's problem in time.

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

Moved to Technical and Problems.

Please could we restrict this to people who think they know what the problem is, otherwise topics just get cluttered with checking for everything under the sun and people end up getting confused.

Now, have you noticed any problems with the general driving of Monty? Has it seemed down on power? Check that the oil pressure light (amber light I think, someone confirm?) goes out after you start the engine. Also, at least 10 minutes after having stopped the engine check the oil level on the dipstick.

However, I do think the smoke you saw coming out the rocker cap and the burning smell could be unrelated. You should get a bit of smoke out of vented rocker caps anyway, and I've had a burning smell before because a plastic bag got caught on the exhaust and melted!

The best bet though is to check thoroughly for any melted wires (alot of wires go under the windscreen panel (the scuttle panel) and the fuse box is located directly in front of the driver in the engine bay.

#14 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

Please could we restrict this to people who think they know what the problem is.

What's the matter babe? ;)

Yes i can confirm that the amber light is the ignition light.

#15 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:48 PM

Thank you ;)

Well, i looked and it was really low on water....BUT i had only filled it up the other day....so clearly i have a leak. Would that be whats making it smoke from the rocker cap thing? I cant find the leak either ;) .How often should you have to top up the water? I have topped up the water and oil etc i just guess ill have to keep an eye on it. I Just dont want it playing up because i have riv run and L2B coming up!!

Also, another random question... You know where you put the brake fluid, the wires coming off of the cap... What do the wires do? because mines kinda, umm snapped :s

Now im carrying around a bottle of water with me in the boot so that i can top it up if needs be.

Should the water in the radiator be clear? because its really orangy colour, does that mean i have to drain it out?

Raz xXx

Edit: sorry, really jumbled up reply, its late im tired. Need zzzzzzzz

Edited by *Raz*, 16 April 2007 - 11:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users