68 replies to this topic

#16 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:29 AM

Well, i looked and it was really low on water....BUT i had only filled it up the other day....so clearly i have a leak. Would that be whats making it smoke from the rocker cap thing? I cant find the leak either :P .How often should you have to top up the water? I have topped up the water and oil etc i just guess ill have to keep an eye on it. I Just dont want it playing up because i have riv run and L2B coming up!!

Sounds like a leak. I shouldn't imagine that would make steam / smoke come out of the oil filler cap, unless water is getting mixed in with the oil - VERY BAD if left too long!

<edit> forgot to add: Most prolly the head gasket is causing this, could also explain the smoke you see - it's steam, could also be comming from the back of the block, and not the rocker cover, if the head gasket has failed and allowing water to escape between the head and block to the outside.

Also, another random question... You know where you put the brake fluid, the wires coming off of the cap... What do the wires do? because mines kinda, umm snapped :s

They go to the "Mystery switch" (brake light test switch), if the brake fluid goes too low (due to a leak or problem with the brakes) the red light will light up on the switch panel. You need to get a new connector crimped on the wire and reconnect it, it's the ONLY warning that your brakes have failed! ;)

Now im carrying around a bottle of water with me in the boot so that i can top it up if needs be.

Good idea, be sure NOT to open the radiator when it's still hot, the water can flash to steam and burn you badly. wait a while and squeeze the top radiator hose - if it's too hot to touch and is hard to squeeze, it's still under high pressure and needs to cool for longer. If the pipe feels quite soft to squeze (like when the engine is cold) then it's safe to remove the rad cap.

Should the water in the radiator be clear? because its really orangy colour, does that mean i have to drain it out?

In a word - NO. It should be blue or green for a carb engine, or in your case, for a injection engine it should be a sort of pinkish colour (if the correct coolant has been used, though many just use normal glycol green / blue). If it's deffo orange or redish / brownish orange, it means it's full of RUST and that it has prolly NEVER been changed, or has been running with just water in it and no antifreeze (antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors - prevents the cooling system from rusting ans silting up the rad). If it's rusty orange and not pinkish, it needs to be flushed out and changed.

With the loss of fluid in the cooling system, smoke or steam from the engine, and the rusty colour of the rad fluid (if it *IS* rusty coloured) I would be speaking to the place where you got the car, something doesn't sound right. I susspect this may be an old problem and has never been fixed or just quickly bodged up. ;)

SS

Edited by Silicon Skum, 17 April 2007 - 02:38 AM.

#17 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

could be the water pump. sounds very similar now to what fifi has done. even with antifreeze i still have brown water.

#18 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

I believe you can get coolant in all sorts of colours nowadays, but they are generally the colours as SS says.

How much water did you have to put in yesterday?

Have some run the engine, and rev it, whilst someone else looks underneath for leaks, or if water is getting into the engine you should get white smoke/steam from the exhaust.

#19 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks SS thats a great help.

I topped it up yesterday and it needed a LOT of water, and last night i only did about 20min drive (10mins each way) checked it this morning and it was lower, a little. Im going to check it again in a min.

Oh jeez :dontgetit: ill get that brake fluid cable things fixed asap then :s. Dont worry, thanks for the warning, i wont take the cap off when engine is hot! :- :xxx: :crazy: .

Yea, the water is orange colour, rusty me thinks. Might get a pit of it, if it comes out ok! Its spilt over the radiator bit! The car needs a good clean up :xxx: .

Jammy, i had to top it up a LOT yesterday, which isnt good because i had only topped it up a few days ago. Yup ill do that later when someone else is here. Thanks :xxx:

Raz xXx

#20 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:08 AM

I can bring my compression tester thursday just to rule out Head Gasket....simply sounds like its overheating, and if the rad is covered in carp then water may well have come out of the overflow (which is what its designed for) also explaining loss of water. Im thinking its your thermostat which is easy to test (detailed in Haynes)

As advised, change your water in the rad anyway, undo bottom hose, give it a good flushing through with the hose pipe and top up with 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water.

Has this just started happening all of a sudden and dramatically? i.e. everytime you drive him?

#21 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

I can bring my compression tester thursday just to rule out Head Gasket....simply sounds like its overheating, and if the rad is covered in carp then water may well have come out of the overflow (which is what its designed for) also explaining loss of water. Im thinking its your thermostat which is easy to test (detailed in Haynes)

As advised, change your water in the rad anyway, undo bottom hose, give it a good flushing through with the hose pipe and top up with 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water.

Has this just started happening all of a sudden and dramatically? i.e. everytime you drive him?

Thanks! :-

Yea i will do, need some help with that tho :xxx: so ill wait til Daddy is home.

Erm, i didnt drive for about 2 days the other day, then when i did drive it was a really hot day and i drove quite a way, then it started doing it, but this was steam/smoke coming out of the inside vents near the windscreen. Then yesterday i drove only to Tilgate in Crawley and it went mad again! Also a few days before i hadnt gone far, but when i parked it was bubbling and smelling again, like what it was doing yday.

Raz xXx

#22 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

another place to check for a water leak is the floor, feel under the heater, see if the carpets wet.

#23 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

See This is not right is it....

Posted Image
Posted Image

another place to check for a water leak is the floor, feel under the heater, see if the carpets wet.

Have aready checked there too, cheers :-

Raz xXx

#24 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

New rad cap!!

#25 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

No thats when the lid was off, it was running, bubbling obviously, but thats the mess it made. Thats what i meant- the colour isnt right is it?

Raz xXx

Edited by *Raz*, 17 April 2007 - 11:47 AM.

#26 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

Oh i see (i think)...you ran the engine with the rad cap off and that was the result?

I thought the rad cap wasnt sealing properly which would have resulted in your high temps, loss of water and mess in your engine bay.

It needs a flush out and refill yes.

#27 Cooper J

Cooper J

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

my mini did this!

but i fixed but by simply turning the heater on. after driving for bout 10 minutes, smoke would pore out of the vents.

But just turning the heater on stops it completely. I think it might be the heater matrix but not entirely sure!

#28 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Local Club: west of england

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

. I think it might be the heater matrix but not entirely sure!

steam from the heater vents on the windscreen is normaly the heater matrix leaking, mine really scared me when it did it

hope you get him sorted raz

#29 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

asa you said there was steam coming from the heater vents i dont reckon the thermostat has stuck. my bet is definately water pump as it has a habit of coming out the little oill hole on the back of the pump when the seal inside breaks down. the are only about fifteen quid to replaca, radioator has to come out to do it so ideal time to flush that aswell. if i lived closer i would have done it for u as i have done it a fair few times before now!

#30 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

RIGHT!! REALLY PISHED OFF!!

Ive just driven to take my sis bf home and then on to her work and back home, thats about a 20min drive. Came home and the car is bubbling LOADS, and smoke coming out the bonnet AGAIN, but not as much.

popped the bonnet, waited for it to cool and looked in the radiator.....filled it up AGAIN!!! Measured ish how much water it needed and it was nearly a litre of water needed filling up and the last time i filled it up was this morning!! WHAT!?

I did as you said and looked underneath when it was running and got mum to rev it. I can see wet drops on it and a small patch of water on the ground. But the underneath of a car means NOTHING to me so :-. Shall i try get pics? To help explain what im on about! Then there is not much point me flushing the radiator through if i have a leak is there?!

GRRRR

Raz xXx

Awww thanks u! I should get it done for free because its still under warranty however i cant get hold of him at the mo and when i do, its about a 45min journey, so i have to make sure its when my parents or someone are around so that i can get a lift back, then he will keep the car for a few days and im car-less!! But i dont care really about being car less, i need it fixed, especially that L2B is coming up and as is Riv Run, and i wont be going if its not fixed because its a 6hr journey!!

Edited by *Raz*, 17 April 2007 - 04:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users