4 replies to this topic

#1 JTBob

JTBob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

I recently got one of those steering column drop brackets for my 1992 SPi. One problem, the instructions don't seem to match what I have.

They say to loosen the 4 nuts on the floor, but I only have two going to the U-bolt holding the steering rack. I'm guessing I need to loosen just those.

The main problem is the bolt holding the steering column to the existing bracket: it's smooth on both sides. Like a carriage bolt and nut. No flat surfaces to put a socket on. I hope it's something really simple that I've missed.

Anyone else encounter this?

Thanks,
JT

#2 Jordan

Jordan

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:36 PM

i think there are another two bolts on the passenger side of the car that need to be lossened i also found this thread as well which should help

how to fit drop bracket

Jordan

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

The bolt is a sheer bolt, designed to just sheer when the correct torque is reached. Stops people just changing columns so they can steal the car I think.

Either file a flat on one side (there should be one side with visable thread sticking out the end. Do the opposite end) then take it out.

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

One side is a shear bolt the other is a shear nut. You need to file two flats on the shear nut, parallel to each other then you can use an adjustable spaner to remove the nut. If you try to do this on the shear bolt it will not move as its posatively located in the column bracket. You can replace this with a standard high tensile nut and bolt.

As stated above there are four nuts on the toe board that hold the steering rack to the body with U bolts, two nuts on the passenger side and two on the drivers side. These need to be slackened off before you move the column, You also need to be sure that when you do move the column that the rack also moves with it. There should be no pressure on the joint of the column to the rack. If there is its a matter of time before the splines give up on the rack and the end result could be nasty - this guy was lucky

#5 JTBob

JTBob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. I'll see about filing down the sides of the nut and getting it off. I'll be sure to check that the rack moves with the steering column.

Thanks again,
JT

One side is a shear bolt the other is a shear nut. You need to file two flats on the shear nut, parallel to each other then you can use an adjustable spaner to remove the nut. If you try to do this on the shear bolt it will not move as its posatively located in the column bracket. You can replace this with a standard high tensile nut and bolt.

As stated above there are four nuts on the toe board that hold the steering rack to the body with U bolts, two nuts on the passenger side and two on the drivers side. These need to be slackened off before you move the column, You also need to be sure that when you do move the column that the rack also moves with it. There should be no pressure on the joint of the column to the rack. If there is its a matter of time before the splines give up on the rack and the end result could be nasty - this guy was lucky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users