Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:05 PM

Hello!

The Clubby is now 100% off the road for the winter and replaced with the Polo (i've kept the clubby untouched since I bought the polo in case I hated it loads and couldn't bring myself to drive it). Anyway, i've been firing it up every couple of days just to keep it working. Ever since I built the engine really its had a rattle at tickover. It's a very metallic, almost a clicking, seems to be coming from the transfer gear end of the engine. It stops when I declutch. When I built the engine I swapped for transfer gear housing for one without the breather that I had, which was originally fitted to a 998. The housing itself had been on an engine that had sat for about 2 years. Do you think that the transfer gear bearings could be on their way out? There wasn't a noticeable noise once you were on the move, no squealing or whining (my dad suggested it could be the layshaft as transfer gear bearings squeal, but i'm not convinced). Anyway, the engine is going to Morspeed over the winter for some work to be done, so I just wanted to see what other people thought before I started replacing things. Its going to have straight cut drop gears as part of its spec. Is replacing the transfer gear bearings an easy job? I know that the idler gear is a needle roller assembly built into the housing, and the gearbox input gear is what looks like a bronze guide pressed into the housing.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:15 PM

When you changed the drop gear case for one from another engine, did you set it up properly? If the first motion shaft support bearing looked like it was made of bronze then it was already well knackered when you fitted it as it is a proper bearing race made of some pretty hard steel. You should have fitted a complete new end bearing to the first motion shaft as the bearing parts are a matched set and swapping parts about will mean the parts don't fit together properly. Also, did you set the end float for the idler gear?

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:27 PM

:nugget: no didn't set the endfloat, and no didn't realise they were a matched set. That'll explain the rattling then really!!

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:14 PM

Nothing to do with the rattling, but now you've swapped your crankcase for a breather less version, I assume you still have at least one breather ( timing cover ? )

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:28 PM

yeah, i got a timing cover with the flattened breather from minishop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users