16 replies to this topic

#1 minirobbie

minirobbie

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:41 PM

Well I bought my 1979 Mini 850 in August last year the car was registered 2 days before I was born, it looked pretty plain, just had a respray all be it not a very good one and it seemed solid enough.
This is what he looked like when I first got it
Posted Image
Then I started to add a few bit was thinking of making it look like an Itailian Job Replica.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Then a few rust marks started to so and a rather large hole apeared in the inner wing on the driver side, so I though that I'd bit the bullet and undertake a complete rebuild. My original plan was to have him ready for Sandon Hall Mini show in September but I think that it may be a little optimstic, so I hoping for thje first show of the year 2008.
Well heres what I've done so far I've been at it for about 2 weekends
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Well this is it for now I'll keep the pictures coming and if anyone has any good tips that may help me though the sleepless nights ahead, all will be welcome.
Thanks for looking

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

Wow!!! she's a beauty. where tdid you ge the Italian job stylew lamp bar from mate?! :lol:

Good luck with the rebuild... looks like you'll hve a stunner of a car,... and nice to see you've gotta car a couple of days older than yourself!!!

#3 minirobbie

minirobbie

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hi Retro,
I got the light bar from a company called TT Lyle unfortunatly Terry whos company it was has retired so is no longer in business whitch is a shame, I think that I got one of the last bars he made, they are very rare only seen about 2 or 3 and just makes a change than having the standard works bar.

Just had a look at your site your mini looks cool mate, paint looks really good, don't think that I've got the patiance for all that rubbing down and polishing

#4 Mincento

Mincento

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

looked pretty smart except the colour but what alloys are they that you fitted? im guessing 10" REVO's? but what width as from one pic it looks like they stick out?

and good luck with the project at least you have a nice dry garage to do it in :lol:

paint looks really good, don't think that I've got the patiance for all that rubbing down and polishing

as retro will tell you it is worth all the effort trust me i have done quite a bit of paintwork on cars etc and the difference in quality, shine and lastability between a good quality time taken paint job and a cheap paint job is amazing id definately recomend spendiong most of the ime in the prep etc for paint it eitether makes or breaks a nice car

wayne

#5 minirobbie

minirobbie

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

Well what can I say I'm a little ashamed and embarrassed to find that it was April 2007 since my last post.
Ok update time unfortunately my Mini is still sat in the garage in pretty much the same state as the pictures above. I have done a little work but not much, although I have bought all the panels required and they are ready to be weld to the car, i have also acquired the engine from a MG Metro, which is completely stripped and ready for a rebuild. Now for my excuse as to why the mini has not been touched for about a year, I bought an Alfa to use as my everyday car and got side tracked with a stereo install.

But I have just made a New Years resolution that the mini will be finished this year!!! (hopefully) :shy:)

Attached File  CIMG2780.JPG   1.58MB   14 downloads
most of the inner wing removed
Attached File  CIMG2782.JPG   1.59MB   12 downloads
A reminder to get my backside in to gear
Attached File  DSC00026.JPG   659.8K   9 downloads
My Alfa (the reason the mini is in the state above)
Attached File  DSC00045.JPG   639.56K   11 downloads
The install

#6 edi57

edi57

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing regular updates from now on :shy:

Best of luck with it.

#7 minirobbie

minirobbie

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Edi, I'm going to get stuck in at the weekend now that the 2 weeks of partying has stopped.

#8 buddylove

buddylove

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

Love the Alfa, hope you get moving with the restore ;D

#9 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

What are you coming to Bingley Hall in? :)

#10 minirobbie

minirobbie

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

Sorry I won't be going to Bingley Hall, fistly as I've spent to much money over Christmas :lol: , and I want to get cracking on the rebuild. My plan is to have the front end fully welded back on by Easter.

#11 minirobbie

minirobbie

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

Well I went to the garage yesterday, it was the first time this year. didn't really get much done spent about an hour trying to get the generator working to no prevail. attempted the get the drivers inner wing lined up but needed to cut some more metal out, and with no electricity I found this to be quite hard. So I had a bit of a clean up and took some pictures of the nice new shiny rust free panels ready to put back on the car. When I eventually get some power sorted. Hopefully get some more done next weekend.
Attached File  DSC00131.JPG   839.47K   16 downloads
Attached File  DSC00132.JPG   719.49K   16 downloads
Attached File  DSC00133.JPG   856.19K   7 downloads
Attached File  wings.JPG   1.6MB   7 downloads

#12 minirobbie

minirobbie

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

Well since I couldn't get the generator to work I got a new one,
Hopefully get some welding done this weekend.

#13 garethr123

garethr123

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

This just goes to show that from the outside i can look ace (which yours did from the pictures) but that scuttle. ooooooooo.
Keep it up

#14 Ebony

Ebony

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

Nice project, I have a white 850 which I'm restoring still trying to sort out the back end as Subby was rotten.

I'm trying to restore sompleteley standard so if you have any parts for sale let me know

keep up the ggod work

#15 minirobbie

minirobbie

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

Well after just reading through the thread, I'm about a month late, and finally the front end is welded back on. I had a helping hand from my brother in law Andy, who is a dab hand with a welding gun, so that helps a lot. I also went to Himley Hall a few weeks ago managed to get some disc brakes, and various other parts that where needed. Here a few pictures of the weekends progress!
Attached File  CIMG5512.JPG   1.55MB   9 downloads Attached File  CIMG5513.JPG   1.58MB   6 downloadsAttached File  CIMG5515.JPG   1.59MB   14 downloadsAttached File  CIMG5517.JPG   1.59MB   5 downloadsCIMG5517.JPG]Attached File  CIMG5518.JPG   1.57MB   4 downloadsAttached File  CIMG5519.JPG   1.58MB   5 downloads
Attached File  CIMG5522.JPG   1.56MB   11 downloads

Edited by minirobbie, 25 May 2009 - 05:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users