#1 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:45 PM

Right, I'm the Lucky B's who's now in posession of a rather tastey looking 1380..

What carb should I be looking at...

I have an HIF44, and use one of these very successfully on my 1330..

but where should I be heading webers ? , if so what sort.. ?

Suggestions please..

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:15 PM

Twin HS6 or HIF44 would be nice and smooth and flow by the bucket, or split 40DCOE's. MMMMNNNN. Or since you got this motor for the better part of nothing why not treat it to some Weber Alpha Plus loveliness? Twin single choke 40 throttle bodies on split weber manifolds is rather gorgeous and I think it fits without surgery. There isn't a volume problem in this engine so I think the choice (for carbs at least) will depend on what redline you are aiming at, how heavy are your valve springs and how good are the valves? Some nice lightweight tubular pushrods would be good.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:47 PM

The head looks completely original, so may leave it like that for the other min, which has an 11stud but on 1.3 inlets... but I have ported 12g940 which needs new seats, so may get that done and use that, but it's been skimmed to raise the CR, and with the flat-tops may just be too much...

I like the idea of the split webers, but "alpha plus" sounds interesting, but is that not injection ??

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:59 PM

Yup it is indeed, and very very good. The OE fuel injection system for the late 1990's Aston Martin V8 Vantage and a whole host of other limited production cars. Very tune-able, (I believe you can plug it into your own computer and they provide software) you can decide if you want a pure power machine or be a bit more environmental and run with a cat, you can keep different maps on disc and change them for track days, it has all the injection toys (like in built soft or hard cut fuel, ignition or combined limiters; shift light drivers; automatic cold start programs; 5th injector channels; all kinds of junk!)
LOOK HERE

And I just found out (while finding that link) that there is a new version out soon with even more gadgets.
WHICH IS HERE

#5 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:05 AM

split webers with anodised ram pipes....yes please

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:32 AM

So... theory is, while I have Petal with nowt in the way, do I modify the bulkhead for a webber set up now ?? if so, how bigs the box I need ?

#7 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:35 AM

what are you using it for, road?, race? If you are using it for the road i'd stick with a hif 44, with a decent inlet manifold and filter/rampipe setup this will give you a lot of torque, reasonable mpg, and a more reliable setup. If money is no object i'd opt for a fuel injection setup for the road or for race possibly split webers.

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:46 AM

Primarily for the road, and occasional rubber burning sessions down the 1/4 mile

#9 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 08:01 AM

My 1380 with a scatter cam showed 146 ft lbs torque on a single Hif

Siggy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users