42 replies to this topic

#16 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

When you say there is fuel there, how have you checked this?

I have someone crank the engine and look at the injector. There are fuel spraying out intermittently from the fuel injector.

To check if the fuel pump is operating, switch off the ignition and then switch it back on untill the oil and battery lights are on but do not try and start it. As soon as you turn the key to this position, you should be able to hear the fuel pump run for roughly 10 seconds. if not try reseting the inertia cut off switch mounted in the engine bay on the bulkhead. if this is fine then check the fuse, it will be an inline fuse on the main wiring loom just above the inertia switch tucked under the windscreen scuttle panel.

Yes i can hear the fuel pump run for a few second when switch on the engine but did not start it.

#17 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

You are getting fuel, good, The explanation you give is exactly what i was after.

That done, on to the spark. You say you are getting a spark? if so then it can only be a couple of things. One, there is not enough fuel being injected which can be the result of a faulty coolant sensor. Two the crank sensor is faulty but then id suspect that you would not be getting a spark or a squirt.

One thing to do which is relativly simple, check and clean the ECU ground point. Its a single black wire attatched to the crossmember triangular suport on the same side as the ECU. Make sure the contact faces are clean bright metal, and the bolt is secure.

#18 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:32 AM

I have a half cut from Japan and it is automatic. Would it be a good idea to use the coolant sensor from the spare unit? Is the coolant sensor transferrable or do i need to change the whole inlet manifold?

This evening i will check and clean the ECU ground point.

#19 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

Have not done anything. But first start the car. This time it seems that there is no sound comming out from the fuel tank. Pull out the connection to the fuel pump (at the top of the fuel tank), ignition key to "ON", check voltage, no reading at all. Press down the inertia switch, no reading (with ignition in ON position). Check all line fuse, all ok. At this stage the engine will crank but will not start.
Loosen the ECU ground point and clean with sand paper (5 ground points in total, refer picture). Put back and tighten bolt. Still will not start.
Fuel pump....can it be because yesterday i keep cranking the engine and there is enough fuel in the system or something else.

Attached Files

Edited by seria, 26 April 2007 - 11:24 AM.

#20 Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

I don't like to jump in the middle while someone is helping but it seems there is still question on if it's fuel or spark at this point.
I would suggest pulling 1 spark plug and sticking it back in the wire. Then hold it against the head while some one cranks the engine. See if you get a good blue spark. If it's yellow or none then you have a problem.

If it's blue then put the plug back in and pour about 1/2 ounce of gas in the top of the throttle body and then hold the throttle open and crank the engine.
If it starts and then dies, then you have a fuel problem.

just my $.02 >_<

#21 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:15 AM

It was orange spark.

With all spark plugs in its seat, pour about 1/2 ounce of gas in the top of the throttle body. Holding the throttle open and crank the engine.
YES it starts and then dies.
Took the negative off the battery terminal, connect the fuel pump direct to the battery, the fuel pump works. Put back the negative terminal to the battery, the fuel pump DOES NOT work. Please advise which other area i need to work on.
Thanks Bill. I can see myself smiling in front of the mirror.

#22 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. The problem solve. It turns out to be the wire going into the inertia switch broken.
Woooo Hooooo on the road again >_<

#23 Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. The problem solve. It turns out to be the wire going into the inertia switch broken.
Woooo Hooooo on the road again >_<

Good to hear!!
Another mini is saved!!

#24 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Really glad you got it fixed. :errr:

#25 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

Now it develop another problem. It is difficult to start when it is cold. I crank the engine for 5 second each time and repeat this for about 7 to 10 times then the engine start. Once the engine is warm, it is easy to start but need to put a bit of gas.

Edited by seria, 30 April 2007 - 01:22 PM.

#26 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

Did you change the coolant temperature sensor?

I have experienced a similar situation, this was down to bad valve seal. I had the valves recut and then it was good as new started first tim e every time. Do a compression test, this will tell you if there is a cylinder seal problem

#27 Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

Couple other things to check.
1. You said the spark at the plug was yellow. I didn't say anything about it since it started. I just assumed it was weak because of all the cranking you were doing and the voltage may be low.
But if the battery is charged and the motor spins over good then recheck your spark. If it is still yellow then I would be looking at the coil and ignition module.

2. When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? Pressure may be low. A better test would be to actually measure the fuel pressure on the inlet side.
A simple test is to pinch the rubber hose on the return line while cranking the engine. This will cause the pressure to go up on the inlet side. Just have someone else turning the key while you pinch the hose (but not completely closed). you can use a pair of pliers if you can't pinch it with your fingers. Just be careful not to damage the hose.

If the motor starts right up then you know you have a lean fuel problem.
As Sprox pointed out. it could be from the ECM/sensor such as the temp sensor or the MAP sensor.
Or it could simply be a mechanical problem with the pump or filter. This is where the fuel pressure gauge is handy.

Edited by Bill USN-1, 30 April 2007 - 07:48 PM.

#28 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:12 AM

Did you change the coolant temperature sensor?

I have experienced a similar situation, this was down to bad valve seal. I had the valves recut and then it was good as new started first tim e every time. Do a compression test, this will tell you if there is a cylinder seal problem

No I did not change the coolant temperature. Is there a write up to carry out compression test?

#29 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:19 AM

1. You said the spark at the plug was yellow. I didn't say anything about it since it started. I just assumed it was weak because of all the cranking you were doing and the voltage may be low.
But if the battery is charged and the motor spins over good then recheck your spark. If it is still yellow then I would be looking at the coil and ignition module.

2. When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? Pressure may be low. A better test would be to actually measure the fuel pressure on the inlet side.
A simple test is to pinch the rubber hose on the return line while cranking the engine. This will cause the pressure to go up on the inlet side. Just have someone else turning the key while you pinch the hose (but not completely closed). you can use a pair of pliers if you can't pinch it with your fingers. Just be careful not to damage the hose.

As Sprox pointed out. it could be from the ECM/sensor such as the temp sensor or the MAP sensor.
Or it could simply be a mechanical problem with the pump or filter. This is where the fuel pressure gauge is handy.

1. The coil and spark plugs are new. Maybe i need to reset the spark plug gap. Is the gap 0.6mm? How do i check the ignition module and where is it?

2. Since i bought the car end of last year, i did not replaced the fuel filter. I have no idea when is the last time it was change. I will do the test when i got the car back. It is at the workshop fixing A/C at present. Will get it back two in days time.

#30 seria

seria

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Sorry for not getting back sooner as i just got the car back. Here is the aircon pic.
Pinch the return fuel rubber hose, the engine start with less crank than before. ie half. I will change the fuel filter and post back the result.
Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by seria, 08 May 2007 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users