#1 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:04 PM

hey all, ive tried looking but i couldnt find out. what type of engine is the mini neon? i know its a 998cc but does anyone know what bhp it produces and if its an a series etc? anything you can find would be helpful

edit - if it helps its a mark 5

#2 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:22 PM

It'll be a A+. As for power, it varies massivley depending on the condition of the car, the age, how it's been driven etc.

#3 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:42 PM

the engines had a good service and check over so it should be ok, il soon find out though lol. Thanks for finding out what engine it is, i really needed to know thanks

#4 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:45 PM

35-40 BHP if your lucky..

#5 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:58 PM

sweet thanks tongham

#6 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:45 PM

As above, stated bhp is 37 bhp, not sure about torque, A+ engine, 998cc similarly to the mayfair, city, and most specials of the time, most parts are directly interchangable.

STage one kit will give a MAX of 20% power, 12% torque increase, and only then if your lucky. Other advised mods are weather shield if you have issues in the wet, electronic ignition, U/L head either a modified mini, or from a metro, then stage 1 kit for more power. All mods should be stated under insurance, even if they do not increase performance.

Service and check over doesnt really mean much as tolerances are so odd, and balancing is therefore odd, so engines can easily produce up to 10% different figures from those stated by manufacturer, who'll usually state the best figures they can get away with.

Oooh, is it carb or injection? i'm unsure for 91...! the above may all be utter rubbish!

Dave

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:28 AM

Being '90/'91 Neons should already be unleaded. Post up your engine number (from the engine not the V5 incase it has been changed) and someone will find you the complete build spec for your engine if possible. But if it is the original engine it will be as stated above, A+, 998, high compression, unleaded etc. etc. Check if it has the (optional on this car) catalyst fitted.
There are no genuine injected 998's.

#8 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

I did think that when i posted... oh well...

#9 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:01 PM

hey dave998cc thanks for that. some nice info i needed, the stage one kit was a must for me since the day i caught the mini bug, but i never thought about getting the electronic ignition, Less engine wear i was told? Could u recommend where to get one and what one?

oh and dan good idea il check if a catalyst is fitted, but because its a 1991 i reckon its not, or so i hope :fear:

thanks - lewis

edit - would a stage 3 head be ok to put on a 998cc?

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:57 PM

If you buy a 998 stage 3 head it will! Personally I would recomend the Magnetronic system by Luminition. It fits neatly inside the distributor body and is very easy to fit and reliable. I had one on my Checkmate for ages. You will need to run an extra ignition feed down the loom from the fuse box as your car has ballasted ignition I believe. It doesn't prevent wear to the engine but it does mean that wear in the distributor itself is far less important than with conventional ignition and it pretty much removes the need for maintenance to the ignition.

The cat was only an option on this car, so you are probably right to think you don't have one. But if you do, the carb type cat was rubbish and robs around 5bhp accross the range so you may want to think about losing it but there could be emissions legal issues if you do.

#11 Jeff R

Jeff R

The Forum Lesbian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:26 PM

I know its a bit off topic now but your engine is supposed to produce 40bhp. I saw this rise to 51 bhp after a stage 1 kit and rolling road sesh.
Also as far as i know you dont need a cat on any car (or engine) manufactured before 1992. My city of the same year as yours had a cat fitted and I just junked it!

#12 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:54 PM

nice one im getting a stage 3 head then, oh and the electronic ignition too. im gonna check if it has a cat tommorow.

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:08 PM

Technically if the car was fitted with a cat when it was built then it has to be kept. As far as I know however there is no official way for anyone (MOT testers, police or insurers) to find out if one was fitted back when they were optional. Especially from someone like Rover who kept virtually no build records for any of their cars.
I'd try the stage 1 kit first (Minispares kit is the best IMHO) as it is by far the best BHP per £ performance upgrade for the Mini, and add the head if you still think you want it. The other good thing about the stage 1 is that most insurers don't mind them, whereas a performance head is almost certain to increase your premium. Both upgrades will need a proper rolling road tuning session too.

#14 minidude03

minidude03

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:24 PM

lewis's car has no cat, i checked the other day wen i went to c it

#15 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:35 PM

my last 998 had a stage 1 kit on it, along with a bespoke head...

it flew

it would destroy 1275's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users