#1 budgie

budgie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I have just had the car MOT'd and failed and the main problem i've got is getting through the emissions. I have a 93' SPI cooper and it originally failed massively on co2 emissions. After getting the emmisions tested again today with the engine thoroughly warmed up (original mot she was pretty cold) she still failed. My question is, is it worth me buying a new catalyst or are there any other options I can look at?

Budgie[/color]

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

For some reason I've just had a complete mental block.... But I think...

If the car was supplied with a cat then it MUST pass the cat test if there is a cat present or not... if it's failed twice then it would suggest that the cat is fubar'd therefore will need replacing...

If it were a carbed cooper, then you could have probably got away with leaning off the mixture, but with an SPI you have no means to do that...

#3 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

My sisters went through the MOT with a cat replacement pipe and that passed :)

#4 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

alsorts u need to check before u replace the cat if its failing massively then its the fueling not the cat, what spec is the engine? check the vac pipes r clean and not split, check its got the right temp thermostat, check the temp sensor and check the lambda sensor im sure there more to check but cant remeber off the top of my head

#5 budgie

budgie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

alsorts u need to check before u replace the cat if its failing massively then its the fueling not the cat, what spec is the engine? check the vac pipes r clean and not split, check its got the right temp thermostat, check the temp sensor and check the lambda sensor im sure there more to check but cant remeber off the top of my head

1.3i, the vac pipes are brand new and so is the map sensor, thermostat is about 8 months old but haven't checked the lambda sensor, how easy is it to fit?

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

Are you using the correct thermstat, needs to be the 87 degree stat

Incidently I have moved this to the Injection specific section :)

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

My sisters went through the MOT with a cat replacement pipe and that passed :withstupid:

Chances are that the MOT tester, tested it on the BET rather than the Cat test :)

#8 Scarface

Scarface

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

the lambda sensor r expensive from minispare ect bwt £80 or sumthin think someone has a link for them at about £50 though, u have to take the exhaust manifold of ideally because its a nightmare to get the sensor out, needs loads of heat, so its inlet manifold removing seperating the downpipe u need a big extension bar for this and then removing the exhaust manifold so u can put enough heat through it get good leverage etc

#9 budgie

budgie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

yeah definately using the right thermostat, so guessing lambda or cat to change.

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

What about the coolant sensor?

If the Lambda sensor was changed not long ago and its still running rich then that was not the fault but rather a symptom.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:53 PM

the vac pipes are brand new and so is the map sensor

You had the Map sensor replaced? The one inside the ECU?

#12 Nu2mini

Nu2mini

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

I had similar problem recently. Solution appears to have been either curing blowing exhaust gasket or faulty Lambada both of which were sorted at the same time. Can you tell if exhaust manifold has a good seal ???

#13 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:21 AM

I had similar problem recently. Solution appears to have been either curing blowing exhaust gasket or faulty Lambada both of which were sorted at the same time. Can you tell if exhaust manifold has a good seal ???

As long as you can't see fumes coming off it. (although if you have a driveshaft oil leak this could just be oil.)

#14 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

the lambda sensor r expensive from minispare ect bwt £80 or sumthin think someone has a link for them at about £50 though, u have to take the exhaust manifold of ideally because its a nightmare to get the sensor out, needs loads of heat, so its inlet manifold removing seperating the downpipe u need a big extension bar for this and then removing the exhaust manifold so u can put enough heat through it get good leverage etc

I got a genuine one For £62 from a local bosch agent. (CAS in norwich)

#15 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

I have a 1994 cooper spi which is excempt from a cat test so i,m allowed 3.5% co an 1200hc the tester reckens some cars are exempt usually k,l and some m reg so you should be ok all depends what comes up when the tester puts your reg number into the computer.Only resean i,ve still got cat on mine is because i can;t be bothered taking it of but if i ever do i can legaly fit a straight through pipe.Check the paperwork to see if really do have to pass a cat test or not,you may be suprised, i was!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users