#1 sandfly

sandfly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:17 AM

is a b*****y stupid question

hi my project was ment to be complete by now 6 months after conception but due to the unforseen forces of the dark side ie rust and filler things have not gone entirly to plan

my project started inocently enough with a 1970 mini clubman that had been savagly stripped of its heritage (some one put a fibreglass front on it)
on the surface this car looked good if in need of tcut and elbow grease and my first job was to strip it and find out what i really had
on the plus side i gained money eventually selling a fair number of bits off and i have a 1970 logbook but the shell sadly is consigned t the scarp heap
every panel had between an 1/2 inch to an inch of filler and what had looked like a nice little car fast turned into the colinder from hell
to fix it properly would have taken complete new floors, a panel, inner and outer sills,new heel board, new boot floor, new inner arches, rear quarters lower half, new rear valance etc about £600 in panels
so plan b ebay here i come
and osbert arrives a totally (where it matters solid 1991 city) front end is shot but goig for a glass fibre/ kevlar front anyway two 1 inch holes and nothing else but surface rust yea!!!!

here is the spec once finished

1991 shell
with mk1 lights, glass fibre double skinned boot lid, mk1 number plate, rally reverse light and 1970 plate in a very cool silver and black, mk1 grille and mk1 glass fibre bonnet, glass fibre front end, cibe oscar hi and low beams,
other exterior bits to include old style bullet mirrors chrome everything and mk1 chrome door window surrounds (if i can get them to fit)
interior mix of black vinal corbeau gtb seats alloy door cards six point roll cage full set of gauges including mk1 speedo and boost gauge(not what you think)
black carpets etc
coilovers all round with a huddersfield spares skelton subframe
adjustable tie bars and bottom arms
cosmic 12s with falken 175 50's may change to yokos
four pots off a metro with vented disks and pagid pads(dont like ebc no progression to brakes)
a+ turbo block with steel centre main strap turbo bearings and arp bolts lightened and balanced turbo crank a+rods and powermax turbo pistons(yeah i know its gonna die)
piper special profile cam
stage 3 head turbo spec with 36 31 valves and double springs 1.5 roller rockers
minispeed supercahrger (he he) with full omex mappable injection whey
lighted billet flywheel and paddle clutch straight cut drops straight cut 5 speed bax and cross pin diff
uprated electrics with bigger altenator and battery
what can i say i have all the bits just need to put them together (help)

so to business or at least will be on monday
doors coming off the mk2/3 to replace the rusty ones on osbert front end coming off and boot lid going on ebay hmm double skinned fibre glass going on that is as long as it comes i will post pics as soon as i know how

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:42 AM

Just one question...

Are you intending on using your v5 from the clubby for this car, as that is technically ringing, and illegal !

#3 sandfly

sandfly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:30 PM

i was under the impression that it was reshelling as i am using the majority of the 1970s running gear and ancillories and then upgrading those
then i will tell the dvla what i have done and erase the 1991 id
i am not planning on just swapping number plates as yes this would be illegal

this is my interpritation but correct me if i am wrong i do not want to end up on the wrong side of the law

#4 ben

ben

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:57 PM

minispeed supercahrger (he he) with full omex mappable injection whey

can you use injection when supercharging?

#5 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • 29,428 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image
ive found some pics of his mini lol

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

hope you didnt mind me posting them up

#6 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:50 PM

i think that re-sheeling is supposed to be exactly that, as in you only chage the shell and need to keep as many parts from the car thats being re-shelled as possible.
Things like subframes, running gear etc are not tied into either car so they could'nt prove anything anyway, the engine is a different story, the best thing to do if you were fitting the engine would be to re-shell, leave a few months and then change the engine in the logbook.

As for ringing this is only a real problem if the donor car is stolen other than that you just call it re-shelling.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:48 PM

It is only 'reshelling' (as in acceptable to keep the original identity) if the shell used is 'new original specification' in which case it is worth 6 points. You need 10 points from one car to keep it's identity. The original or a new unused original spec shell is worth 6, the engine and gearbox worth 1, the steering 2 etc. etc. Check the DVLA site as all the info is there. The thing is you have a significant number of points from different cars here, so you will need a Q plate or maybe even to take the SVA test. It would technically need to be taken to the licensing office for an inspection and they will decide what it is. It is not quite a ringer but will definitely be a dodgy motor, as you are really re-building the 91 and registering it as a 70s Clubby.
The blower is cheaper at Minispares by the way.

#8 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:26 PM

what if....as with a lot of minis...the engine isn't original? what appens with the points then

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:46 PM

Most older cars, kits or rebuilds don't have their original engine, and two engines of the same type are nearly indistinguishable. That's why they don't count it as being very important for the identity of the car and why it's only worth 1 point. If anything that isn't original wasn't new when fitted (scrap yard parts etc.) you get no points from it (well you do, but points from the identity of the car it came from rather than your own). It is pretty easy to get 10 points, if you get the body shell points. Without these points it is tricky.
I don't know how long something has to be fitted to your car to become part of it's identity though. On our car the front subby had been swapped before we bought it, but I don't know when. So we didn't try to count it's points when we got the new shell, but since it had been fitted for at least 5 years I'm sure we could have got away with it (my least favorite phrase!).

#10 sandfly

sandfly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 02:35 PM

in answer to the top question yes it is possible and highly recommended as it lessens the chance of preignition in the supercharger before the fuel air mix gets into the engine don't ask me why but that is what the expetrs say

more importantly i will be able to get max performance and or economy as this will be bloody thirsty otherwise gonna be cool though

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:41 PM

That's because on most injected and supercharged cars the injectors are after the blower so fuel doesn't get anyway near it and it is always metered correctly for the amount of air available. On the Minispeed kit I have seen however, the injector is before the blower in a throttle body. And they only have one where most supercharged injected 4 cylinder motors have at least 5. Maybe I only saw a prototype or something, but I have good reasons to distrust Minispeed.
I had a plan to use this blower with injection but it involved adapting the supercharger inlet manifold to accept two or maybe three injectors.
I think you should consider at least a 4 bolt steel centre main cap for this motor rather than just a strap. Maybe even use a full steel mains cap set, ask one of the more reputable engine tuners for advice about this.(MED, MLM, Morspd, SRE etc.)

#12 sandfly

sandfly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:37 PM

using an avonbar engine which has been rebuilt it was good first time around should be great second

yes the minispeed kit uses a single injector very much like a carb it is just more tuneable

in reality the kit isnt mini speed it is a mini mania kit but that would cost more to import and the original manifold design i think is australian but i could be wrong

i dont know how vmax have done it whether the injectors are before or after but would be interested in finding out from what omex have told be their kit can run upto 8 injectors with a small change in the loom so i may eventually change thigs a lot but for know will be going as standard

what went wrong with mini speed my only complaint is time waited for parts past that they have been very good with me and all items recived have been top notch

sandfly

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:24 PM

Well, there's quite a list. I won't say much but they nearly killed a friend of mine with their dodgy workmanship, I've been there a few times when the guy at the desk (not James) was drunk out of his mind, and they took quite a bit of money from me to do nothing to my car despite claiming they had changed lots of seals. And there was a bad engine build and an awful gearox. I could go on but it's very boring.

The kit is indeed Australian originally, and it's dirt cheap over there. But getting it imported would cost a bomb like you say. Minispeed make the injection throttle body and adapters and stuff for it I think. They have also started making a very ropey looking injection plenum for the 8 port. As I said the blower is cheaper at Mini Spares (or it was last time I checked), and have you thought about Webcon for the injection? They make a single throttle body which would fit and could then be upgraded in the future, and their newest system is designed for boosted engines.

Ausie Mini blower kit maker link!
Opcon - who actually make the blower (in Sweeden then it goes to Australia, then back here. No wonder it's expensive!)
Weber Alpha 4 - fabulous injection system

#14 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:01 PM

Have you considered "Megasquirt" fuel injection ? it looks like the answer to any and all one off instalations .

#15 sandfly

sandfly

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:31 AM

The injection is from omex and is the fully mapable one all the bits come from them including thankfully the throttle body and injector and as i said it can be adapted in the future

i checked out mini spares initially when i ordered the blower and they said they couldn't get any for 6 months that was six months ago hehe
but yes it would be chepaer but i got a good deal from minispeed on a charger they had taken off a car of a non paying customer it had only done 120 miles? but so they did it for a 1500 then dropped it so are now having to get me a new one hahaha we shall see it is ment to be with me by friday next week

I am doing all the building myself so i dont have to worry about their standards just the prices they cahrge for parts

my engine is coming by way of green and whites in durham and what ian does not know about building daft engines is not worth asking he ahs a 1500 8 port at the minute and christ does it shift but i digress
i hope that mini speed gives me no grief but we shall have to see as they say you live and learn thanks for the haeds up though i will be on my guard for anything not quite right

alex

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users