#1 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

I dont have a blind puller and needed to remove my idler gear bearing in the flywheel housing so came up with this method to remove it which took about 5 minutes once i came up witht he idea.

Firstly i removed the roller bearings by tapping them out with a punch, a flathead screw driver would also suffice. You then need to remove the metal holder that the rollers are pushed into. I done this by putting a screw driver into a slot and twisting it, this causes it to distort and then can be easily removed which will leave you with the bearing race.

I then got two 1 inch washers and elongated the holes on them and put them offset on a long m10 bolt so they are spaced enough to fit under the lip on the bearing then tightene the
washers in place with a nut.

Posted Image

the washers on the bolt can then be put underneath the lip on the bearing race.

Posted Image

you then need a solid bracket/piece of thick steel or as i used the part of my engine stand that the block attaches to.
You lay this flat over the flywheel housing with a hole in it with the bolt popping through it and put a nut on it.

Posted Image

tighten the bolt and the bearing should pull out straight and true

Posted Image

one bearing race removed

Posted Image

one housing ready for cleaning and a new idler bearing.

Posted Image

#2 Wombat

Wombat

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:10 AM

I didn't have much luck with this method - succeeded in pulling the rim off instead - turned out the bearing had had Loctite on it. I used a dremel with a small die grinder bit and very gently carved a groove down the bearing shell then split the shell by driving a small screwdriver in between the bearing case and the shell. I then used a pair of needle nose pliers to twist the bearing shell out - took a bit of effort to break the Loctite but it came out eventually

Edited by Wombat, 10 April 2008 - 11:14 AM.

#3 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

what about removing the shell for the first motion transfer bearing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users