2 replies to this topic

#1 bennivory

bennivory

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

hi, my 1973 1275gt has got 6 little plugs with ziebart rust proofing written on them, i was wondering what i fill these up with to get it refilled, or is special equipment required? any help is greatly appreciated, cheers

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

I didn't know Ziebart was ever in the U.K.

Ziebart is/was a rust-proofer application company. Their product was a thick brown waxy goo that was sprayed through the holes under the plugs you observed. I had that applied to our 1981 Rabbit (Mk1 Golf) when it was about 3 years old and we were living where they salted the roads heavily in winter. It helped, but rust eventually found its way into the car. However it kept the car in good enough shape that we only got rid of it last October.

I don't know that you're ever supposed to do anything to Ziebart coatings. If you want to add additional, newer coatings to what's already there I'd consider Waxoyl or something similar that might soften and reconstitute the Ziebart material.

#3 Road Runner

Road Runner

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

It used to be offerd by dealers back in the 60's and 70's on the UK. My dad used to have his Austin 1100 and alegro's done with it and let's face it they did need it being the worst rusting cars I have known.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users