#1 '69Pickup

'69Pickup

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: Nashville British Car Club

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:09 AM

Howdy y'all from Nashville, Tennessee. I bought a restored customized '69 pickup from Bristol Minis in '01. It had 37 miles on a new '00 1.3i MPI drivetrain, but at about 350 miles it developed hiccups when warmed up, particularly when cornering. Sometimes I could barely keep it running to get it home, and other times it stalled out completely but restarted after a short rest. However, it started quickly and ran fine when cold.

We discovered later that the fuel filter had been put on backwards. It was full of mud, and the tank was grungy so we replaced the filter and cleaned and sealed the tank. There did not seem to be any crud in the in-line pump so we didn't remove the injectors. Engine ran great for about 250 more miles and it started the hiccups routine again. I replaced the filter again but am still having the cutting out problem. The engine now has only 600 miles on it.

The tank is a pickup tank, so has no place in its top to put an in-tank pump (i.e. an ITP049). It does have a front portal where the fuel guage sensor is, however. The in-line pump is an FSE Facet CSL391, which I can't find specs on anywhere on the web. My suspicion is that the pump is not adequate to feed the injectors, but don't know what to replace it with. Of course, there could be other causes. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached File  69truck1.jpg   249.77K   70 downloads

#2 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

With out actually seeing it this could be a difficult one but i would suggest having the injectors cleaned just in case, maybe fitting a higher spec pump and a fuel pressure regualtor, also check the relays as this can also be a symptom of hiccups i have found oin the past.

#3 '69Pickup

'69Pickup

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: Nashville British Car Club

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:11 PM

With out actually seeing it this could be a difficult one but i would suggest having the injectors cleaned just in case, maybe fitting a higher spec pump and a fuel pressure regualtor, also check the relays as this can also be a symptom of hiccups i have found oin the past.

Thanks for the reply. Assuming it's just the pump, is it detrimental to install another in-line one with 3 bar pressure, or should I devise a way to insert the in-tank one specifically made for the MPI?

Edited by '69Pickup, 03 June 2007 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users