Photo
- - - - -

Is my sus really close, or is it normal?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:19 PM

Was meant to ask this weeks ago before my car went to rover, but just haven't bothered, but when i go over harsh potholes with the nearside wheel its as tho it goes bang, like the sus is bottoming out. So thought i'd take a pic of how close it is to the bumpstop, which i am pretty sure it is hitting. to see how close it is!

now is that close or what!!

Posted Image

The car isn't lowered as you can see by the standard sus cone, all i can think of is a worn knuckle, as it looks quite flat, but what shall i do? i have heard some people removing the bump stop/cutting it down. what sort of gap is usually there??

I know it makes no odds to the ride height, but i am running Gaz adjustables.

ta
Rich

#2 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

That is quite close, and it has been hitting it. the marks on the end of the bump stop show that.

However, I'v just been out to look at mine and the stops are constantly touching the bumpstops at rest, and I dont get a bang, ever.

It's more likely that something onthat sode of the suspension is lose. Baslljoints or toparm bearings ar a favorite.

Thanks for making me look at mine by the way, I need to think about it being that low.

Cheers

Wil

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:41 PM

If you're getting a pronounced "bang" you probably have old rubber cones which have shrunk quite a bit. (Yes... the nylon cup in the arm could have worn through and lowered the car... but you didn't mention suspension groans and squeaks). If the rubber cone has collapsed or shrunk you're car will settle quite a bit lower and if you are still running stock shock absorbers, the shocks can bottom out. The bottoming shock absorber is a hard mechanical stop as opposed to the rubber bump stop.

#4 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 04:50 PM

How have you taken the photo. With the wheel on and on the floor?

Siggy

#5 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 06:17 PM

it is possable that it is lowered even with a standard trumpet , in the olden days we used to cut the alloy trumpets down to lower the mini , and add washers to raise it (between the trumpet and knuckle)

#6 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 07:16 PM

yes, photo is taken with wheel on, on full right lock, and not jacked up..

The car is only a 96' and was completly standard apart from a maniflow exhaust, so pretty sure it isn't lowered.

Do you think it is an idea to cut the bump stop down?

Rich

#7 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:07 PM

No, cutting the bump stop down will not eliminate the problem. The problem would seem to be with either a knackered cone, goosed knuckle or a combination of the two, the banging will more than likely be a bottoming out noise coming from the shock absorber. This is caused by the shock absorber being allowed to go through all of its travel and not being restricted by the suspension cone.

Cutting the bump stop may seem to give more clearance, but this will not prevent the possible damage to the shock absorber that could be caused by repeated bottoming. Not really sure of a way of checking the condition of the cone. :erm: Maybe measure the height of the base of the trumpet from a fixed point on the subframe?? Without having a look at it, I couldn't say for certain what the problem is, but my gut feeling would be that the cone is worn. Could this be caused/promoted by running the shocks too soft?

#8 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:29 PM

Whats it like when the wheels are straight ahead?

What clearance have you got from the tyre to the wheel arch (photo please)

Is it the same both sides?

Siggy

#9 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:30 PM

Sorry for bringing the thread back to life saves me creating another one, i seem to have the same thing with mine, its not hitting the bump stop but it is the same distance away, when driving i do hear loud bangs due to pot holes and the front of the car is quite low. Here is a picture of the side of my mini when i got it, its a bit lower now than it was then, what parts would need replacing if somthing had gone. Its all standard stuspension.

Thanks

Jackman

#10 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:10 PM

Replace the knuckle joints and while you're at it, check your cones. If they seem rather squished then replace those too! knuckle joints - 3 pounds each (1 needed for 1 side). Cones - 25 each was it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users