6 replies to this topic

#1 jackvine

jackvine

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

Hi I have just got myself a low mileage 97 MPI cooper, when I purchased it, it idles fine just under 1k, since I have replaced the battery and now the idle when cold goes up to 2.5k then drop back to 2k. If it turn the engine off and start it again it will idel at just under 1.5k.
I have since reset the ecu and at first it idled correctly at just under 1k, then the second time I came to start it, its again idling at about 1.4k!
I have check the air filter and removed the idle control valve and cleaned it which have not changed anything!

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Thanks

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

It could be a sticky throttle cable? or worst case scenario, a cracked/ distorted throttle body??

Other than that its the idle valve. Theres a chap on ebay selling them for under a tenner,
which is stupid cheap!!!

#3 jackvine

jackvine

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

I ve tried the cable and its fine, also inspected the throttle body and it seems fine no leaks or cracks!

Do you have a link for the idle control valves? I ve had a look on ebay and cant find them, if there that cheap will buy 1 and try thats.

Cheers

#4 BabyBek

BabyBek

I love sheepies

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Local Club: TMF and South Wales Minis

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

I had an idling problem with my MPI about a year ago, it was being totally irratic!
It turned out that the casing the throttle cable was in was cracked and was gripping on the cable which had started to frey ever so slightly.
Changed the cable and problem sorted itself!

EDIT: DOH! Posted @ same time as u!!

#5 edjohnson

edjohnson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

could it be vaccuum pipes??

ed

#6 jackvine

jackvine

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

OK fixed it, I took the map sensor out and cleaned that, that made no difference, then I notice the throttle sensor connector was no longer attached, but laying at the back of the engine.
I think what has happened is the engine was moving alot due to duff steady arm bushes and it caused the connector to come off the sensor!

Edited by jackvine, 09 June 2007 - 02:01 PM.

#7 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

I had this when I first bought Sir D - and it got progressively worse. My solution was a new metal throttle body from Burlen (sp?) - suspected throttle body plastic-cheese housing had warped. All fine since, also helps to reset the min and max points on the accelerator - turn the ignition to 2nd position (fuel pump can be heard priming), and floor and lift off the gas pedal 5-10 times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users