#1 Ben Allen

Ben Allen

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:19 PM

Hi,
Just registered on this site today, thought I'd post something about my Mini!

It's a 1979 Clubman 1275GT. Cost me £340 back in May time!
When I got it, it was in a bit of a state after being off the road for about 3 years.
The previous owner had spent loads on welding and panels, so it needed none of that doing but had then moved house and so had nowhere to store it. I spotted it on ebay, about 150 miles away in London (I live in Northamptonshire), and went down to see it then popped a bid in. Some bribery with Stella later and my girlfriends brother trailered it home for me!

When I got it:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Half Pageant Blue, half primer grey. It was originally brown.
I got it in my garage and finished it all off. I did all the prep myself and towed it to a local sprayer and got it coated in Opel Atlantis Blue!
Got some brand new Revolites off ebay for £150, some Yoko A539 tyres and that was it for the looks department. What do you all reckon?

Posted Image
Posted Image
More pics here: http://ben.loaded.ne...Name=minionroad

It owes me over £2000 now, and it's all road legal now (although I've garaged it for Christmas now to sort some niggles out and stop it from rusting!). Did take 3 MOT's to get by however!
I've written a bit about it on my site at http://ben.loaded.net. It's a sorta project diary, but it needs updating as it ends before I got it on the road!

Any good?
I love it personally, although it's too damn slow. I'm a Peugeot man usually, and have had a number of 205 GTIs, so going to a Mini is a bit of a step down (although I still have a GTI). They're both as fun as each other to drive though :lol:

The Mini is usually seen going around the streets of Southampton, as I'm at University there if anyones seen it about. Sometimes in Bournemouth aswell!

So err... hi, that's my car :P

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:25 PM

Any good?

Duh ! 10 out of 10 matey... lovely job.

and welcome

#3 Carl

Carl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:30 AM

you deserve a medal :cheese:

#4 Aaron

Aaron

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:53 AM

That is SWEET !!!

:lol:

#5 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:58 AM

excellent job well done, what engine is in it?

if you want to make it faster you can always have an engine conversion.

#6 Ben Allen

Ben Allen

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:59 PM

It's a 1275 MG Metro engine (I assume due to the MG logo on the rocker cover)
It's got a K&N, LCB and exhaust system (which I hate with a passion. was on the car when I got it, I want an RC40)
It's running a bit C**p at the moment. In desparate need of a rolling road and rejetted carb

I want to get another engine. Ideally Metro Turbo or a 1380 engine. Don't want the hassle of fitting a non-A series to it really!
Anyone got anything of interest going spare enginewise I could buy?

#7 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:07 PM

I think you should really consider fitting a K-series or Vauxhall lump. You've got a clubman, so there is almost no difficulty in fitting one. Watsons and others do subframes for the conersion and can offer all the other parts such as driveshafts etc. All parts for conversion can come out to less than 1000 pounds + engine, and you're good to go with 150 horses!! :]

As for the car, it looks REALLY good! I think you should send off for a mag article. Very clean car!

Perhaps a set of colour coded arches and lower 15-20mm at the back will make it even snappier looking!!

Looks great!

#8 Ben Allen

Ben Allen

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:13 PM

Cheers! I have a set of Hi-Los sat about but they're in need of fitting badly. The rear is way too high, I'll get that done over Christmas I hope
I'm pretty happy with the standard arches how they are, I'm satisfied with the looks now :lol:
I'm going to be sorting out the interior over christmas. I need to fit my buckets and harnesses (Cobra Clubman buckets), and get this damn dash to fit! it's been a right pain. Nice dash though - Charcoal effect one!

I read the fitting a K Series article in this months PPC mag (good mag by the way people - buy yourself a copy) and all the modifying subframe business looks a bit more than I'd like to undertake. A Metro GTi engine would be awesome though. They're about 100bhp aren't they? Should be pretty nippy in my Clubby but there's more spannering needed to fit it than I'd be happy doing
Anyone want to fit one for me? :P

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:18 PM

www.allspeedengineering.com

The subframe for a k series is 450 pounds only. They sell ALL the parts you need for a conversion, you need to do almost ZERO fabricating.

If you take your time and spend your money well you could be rolling with GTi or Vauxhall power for under 2-3 grand!

#10 Ben Allen

Ben Allen

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:23 PM

Car already owes me over 2 grand! I can't afford to throw too much extra cash at it unfortunately :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users