Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Oooo could be race into production Mini mad - I was thinking similar :P

I'm amazed some of the UK suppliers haven't got their heads together to offer a complete kit.

Other points on finding TDC. Not only do you not have to be dead accurate as you can just sort it out with your PC, you don't even have to bother about which cylinder is firing as EDIS is wasted spark and fires both. Just line up your existing timing marks on the pulley or flywheel.

If you did want to establish the exact TDC you could do it through the spark plug hole but you'd need a dial gauge and a protracto.

#47 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

In most cases, you wil not need to drill/tap the inlet manifold, you just use the vacuum advance system that is on most carbs (certainly not needed on a normal mini SU, as that will have a vacuum take-off pipe anyway). This is one advantage of using MAP over TPS, all you have to do is plug a pipe into the ECU, instead of it being plugged into your dizzy.

Yup, cost would be expensive, but comparable to something like a decent dizzy (like a 123) and decent coil anyway. But, at the end of the day, it's a damn cheap way of getting mapable ignition.

to be honest, AFRacing is a very good guy to deal with and he's the guy who supplied my Megajolt ECU ready built. He's full of good advice for it all too.

#48 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

its what has put me off the megajolt, you cant buy the full kit off one person, and it makes me wonder why that is.

if i could buy the pulley etc from one place, then i would.

it does look like i will be buying the megajolt from usa just because its so cheap.

#49 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

IMHO cheapest isn't always best. I have had all sorts of free advice from Alex (AFRacing) during installing and wiring up my megajolt, infact I was asking him for adivce on MSN this morning and he obliged). It's a little harder to get that kind of support from overseas really.

As for offering a complete kit, I was thinking more of doing it as a group buy style, not as any kind of profit based idea. I personally think that what miniboo said earlier is true, Megajolt is all about offering people a great igntion system on the cheap. That's why people assemble their own kits etc. Some people make their own VR brackets, coil mounts, and it basically only costs them £100ish for the MJLJr and about £30 in second hand bits from a scrapyard.

The only potential problem I see is that second hand EDIS kit is going to become scarce. I intend to get out there and buy some whilst I can, mainly so I have spares for when if mine go wrong.

#50 smudger

smudger

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

ok

group buy sounds good to me

once we all agree to the best way of a trigger wheel.

be it a laser cut wheel or a machined mini pulley together with the assocaited bracket.

i know mra minis are doing the dizzy plug, so is it worth doing a group buy on them?

would alex be up for a group buy (if say 5-10 peeps) on the built/tested kits?

Whilst i understand about the scrap yard hunting (something i will have to do) some just want the ability to buy in one place.

#51 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

I personally like the SC components way of mounting the trigger wheel as it gave adjustability, but now I know a little more about the system, I'd be happy with a machined pulley (once a VR bracket was properly designed and tested).

#52 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

group buy, id be interested!

think i might already have the trigger wheel and bracket on the new mini coming so will have to wait and see

#53 smudger

smudger

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

the SC kit does look nice, comes with a price, but if a mini pulley can be used with associated bracket, then thats got to be a cheaper/tider solution.

I just want a kit that works, as little messing around as possible, and a numptys guide on how to.

with all the kit in one place, i cant see why this cant be up and running in a weekend.

its the data base of programs that i need to.

everything from a standard 998 stage 1 to a hot 1380.

afterall, not all of us run big engines, but we can make em more fun/reliable with this.

#54 smudger

smudger

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

maybe start a new topic for group buy?

using a mini pulley and someone design the VR bracket.

get in touch with mra and see if they willing to make it cheaper or post free on 10 orders?

if afracing/fast carl or even mini sprocket deceides to go the mini pulley route, with bracket, then sure he could flog the bits on here easy.

#55 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:15 PM

Assuming you all want the same set up.

Getting a stock of pulleys together to machine would defo save a few quid.

I think AFRacing is close enough in price to buying direct to make the extra after sales service worthwhile.

I've only bought direct because I'm a tight arsed Yorkie 'n I'm gonna risk toasting my fingers soldering a kit :P

I've started on my sensor bracket, I have a belt drive cam so don't think the SC or KAD one would fit.

Does mean I have a spare bolt hole, the one that goes through the end plate but not into the block, as the belt drive fits like the earlier timing chain cover. I've got a bit of 20mm alloy rod bolted through and it's rock solid. The idea is to mount the sensor so it doesn't get disturbed if I have to replace a fan belt or similar.

The minfinity site as some useful EDIS info: someone's done a really simple mount off the radiator bracket, and the CVH timing disc does make for a really tidy setup.

#56 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

Have you got the like for where someone has mounted the VR sensor bracket on the rad?

Im planning on using the CVH timing disk then using the lathe to adapt the mini crank pulley that way i should be able to sort it really cheap if i can source the CVH timing disk cheap enough lol.

Edited by Tomf, 08 July 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#57 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

buying the kit direct is at least half the price. not taking away anything from Afracing but i reckon with the amount of money you save and the amount of info you can get off the net i reckon it is worth the saving. hence why i have ordered mine direct as a kit(i can solder) plus i live in the states so it would be stupid not to.

#58 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Yea it is but people have said that they are getting charged £30 import tax so if these charges are given then it would work out about the same but hopefully i wont be charges these... :P

#59 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

thats over 50% import charges of the original cost which is way too much

#60 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

Martin Millener [[email protected]] - will sell you a built Megajolt for around £100 including postage. Hope I don't regret not using him!

http://www.minifinit...ppable_ingition

Think you have to machine the CVH disc as well but it looks really good so if you can find more than one timing wheel ...:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users