Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:37 PM

Well what a week...

First with the engine bailing out on me on Saturday, and then having to miss the get-to-gether at Gaydon :sad: Schmoo is finally back on the road... a little under powered, the only unit which I had serviceable in the short time frame was a 998.. by-eck you notice the difference when going down from a 1330...

Anyway, rather than rebuilding the 1330 ( which I may do later on ) gonna concentrate my efforts, and funds, in the direction of the 1380.. :grin:

So far Santa has let me purchase an ultra-light flywheel, pre-verto with a pre-engaged ring..... so I can finally get rid of that poor old iniertia starter

New Mains, big ends and thrusts. gonna sript my 1330 of all the good bits, like the Kent Vernier timing gear, and drop the whole lot on a completely rebuilt close ratio box with my old x pin diff strapped to the back....

This is going to be way too much fun when I've built this... should be up and run-in before the show down next year.... hopefully sub 16 1/4 mile

#2 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:21 PM

sounds ace mate. am i right in saying there are 2 types of pre verto flywheel, with different amounts of teeth, or am i getting muddled up? can u use either type of starter with ore verto flywheels?

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:30 PM

Yep, two types..

normally all pre verto are iniertia type rings, something like 120 teeth, never bothered counting. and verto's are generally pre-engaged which have about 160 teeth...

but there are some verto's which have intertia rings, and vice versa...

The purpose of changing is that the pre-engaged starters are far more powerfull than the older intertia starters, and with the larger number on the ring, previde more torque in turning the engine from static... needed for Higher compression engines.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:31 PM

Actually I have some out of the engine, so may stick some photies in the techie section in a bit...

#5 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

plz if u cud mate, can the verto type be lightened? iv herd that it cant but iv seen some that have been so im confused! i was thinking about changing to non verto for this reason and the non vertos are alot lighter too

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:26 PM

Just counted the teeth, and I was way out....

Inertia, 107

Pre-engaged 129

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

Sometimes I just have nothing better to do.....

http://www.theminifo...?showtopic=5131

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:53 PM

You can buy a lightweight outer section for the verto, but I think that lightening the standard one is unsatisfactory as they tend to shatter or something like that. The lightweight version is made from steel so obviously you can shave more off it than the grey iron standard item without seriously weakening it.

The Verto outer section is available as standard with either gear as the pre-engaged starter was fitted (1985) a year after the verto clutch (1984). So there's a years production of Verto Minis with Bendix starters. Pre-Verto flywheels with the pre-engaged ring gear shrunk on are after market modified only as this combination was never standard. They are readily available though or it's relatively easy to swap the gear yourself but I'm not saying how! There are fitment and clearance issues so it's a little more complex than it sounds. So there are two different Verto flywheels with different gears, but only one pre-Verto as standard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users