#1 graham248

graham248

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hi
is there anyone out there with an R1 mini with carbs, and have you changed the jets etc.
Chris sent me a dynojet kit with 128 main jets these I have fitted but having read the lads with seven type cars they seem to be using 144 jets, I have a massive flat spot when accelerating I now know which holes to block off etc but would just like to here from some one who has done this type of mod
I did fit the wrong pump but have now changed this to a lower pressure one, it was popping and banging a lot on over run and using a lot of fuel
Please can anyone shed some light Thanks

#2 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

As far as I know Dale is the only person with an R1 engine on carbs, so hopefully he'll see this and shed some light for you.

#3 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

He's R1minimagic by the way. In case he doesn't see this and you'd like to PM him. I'm sure he wont mind :-

#4 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

When i took mine to TTS rolling road they told me that the kit supplied by Z cars was useless and they fitted their own parts instead. Car runs with no problems but not sure what jets/needles they used. Maybe give them a call, they should know straight away.

by the way where abouts are you?

Cheers

#5 graham248

graham248

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

Hi Dale
Thanks for replying, I live in Nottingham by the way where are you?
Yes I think the kit is usless but wasn't sure which way to go, having been in chris's old white car a long time ago I remember how quick it was and having been in my son's injected R1 I was beging to think somethink very wrong with mine
Will give TTS a ring tomorrow and see what they say

#6 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

by the way, the airfilter supplied by Z cars was also useless as it was too shallow and crushing the rubber ram pipes when fitted. This cost me a lot of extra time on the dyno and had to fork out for a new filter that was suitable for the job. The one from Z cars was causing a massive 50bhp loss in power!!

I am near Oxford by the way.

Edited by R1minimagic, 27 June 2007 - 05:43 PM.

#7 graham248

graham248

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

Hi
Just got off the phone to chris,
he recomends fitting the r1 pump so as to give 1 1/2 psi then try blocking the holes up one by one until it comes right, will also change the plugs.
He rightly thinks it is flooding!!!

#8 graham248

graham248

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

Dale can you give me a rough cost for TTS setting mine up, is there no end to the expense!!! :-

#9 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

I think mine came to about £400 in the end :-

#10 graham248

graham248

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

you don't get owt for nowt, that hurts I think I will try once more myself and then I will have to bite the bullit
What air filter have you got now?

#11 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

Same type form TTS, foam filter but taller so it clears the ram pipes

#12 graham248

graham248

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

Thanks, also what pump have you used I have just bought yet another facit pump running 11/2 to 3 psi but chris still reconds its to much?

#13 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

I have got a solid state pump from Merlin Motorsport for about 45 quid and a regulator fitted (15 quid) with 6 settings, usually set to position 2 or 3. I can find out exactly which ones if you like?

I doubt the pump is causing you problems with over fueling, it is more likely that the carbs are not jetted properly, mine was popping and banging before i took it to TTS with a huge flat spot between 6-8000 rpm and very spiky power curve. Now it is nice and smooth with no flat spots and no banging on over run.

#14 graham248

graham248

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Sounds exactly like mine, flat spot maybe a little lower but otherwise just the same. I have a filter king regulator set as low as it will go but would realy like to know which size jets they put in yours, i don't think they will be very forthcoming with that information if I asked TTS, what do you think! my pump is the solid state type as well
Its not that far off being a rapid car just the magic mystery of them carbs very frustrating :-

#15 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:40 PM

Just as another vote of confidence for TTS. They set mine up. It's injected and they did a great job once the power commander was in. Ran soooooo much better afterwards and was only £125!! :-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users