165 replies to this topic

#46 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

I only ask because it seems there is a car upside down behind the Mini. I've noticed the road seems like quite a steep uphill road, and I can only assume that the Mini was going up the hill? In which case I would hazard a guess that whatever car is upside down was going pretty quickly down the hill, possibly overtaking and went straight into the Mini?

I assume its a head on collision, at speed because Minis have a habit of bouncing off other objects, whereas this one seems to have just been squashed quite square on.

#47 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

You can see the other car in the background which has also hit a tree. From the damage the incident would have been head on,
I don't have specific details, it's from a lecture we give to 5th and sixth form students about road safety.

No action had been taken to the mini at this stage as it was obvious that the driver was dead. all the damage you see was due to an estimated 80mph impact speed (40mph each vehicle) The engine, subframe etc has all moved into the cabin and the driver slumped into the passenger side pinned in place by the dash, bulkhead and engine. its safe to say they would have suffered multiple injuries, fractured pelvis, femurs, spinal chest and head injuries and would have probably died instantly.

The other pics that i have, i cannot post.

#48 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

and you still have that mini dont you Pete?

Yep still got it now and still going strong... well appart form the gearbox...

#49 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Stories like that really make you think, it could all be over tomorrow.

#50 RobJaxon

RobJaxon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: dont know

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

coop looks like a lovely mini you had before the crash aswell.

The one posted by gav is horrific. I think the guy would have died instantly.

#51 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

I have lots of crash pics but thats the only Mini one we use. i have a nice mazda MX5 Fatal (no bodies visible) and a Kawazaki ZX6R which hit a car and decapitated the rider.

#52 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

You can see the other car in the background which has also hit a tree. From the damage the incident would have been head on,
I don't have specific details, it's from a lecture we give to 5th and sixth form students about road safety.

No action had been taken to the mini at this stage as it was obvious that the driver was dead. all the damage you see was due to an estimated 80mph impact speed (40mph each vehicle) The engine, subframe etc has all moved into the cabin and the driver slumped into the passenger side pinned in place by the dash, bulkhead and engine. its safe to say they would have suffered multiple injuries, fractured pelvis, femurs, spinal chest and head injuries and would have probably died instantly.

The other pics that i have, i cannot post.

That really makes you think :thumbsup:

Did the other driver die aswell?

We don't have talks like that at our 6th form, it might slow some of the people down if we did!

#53 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

yes the other driver died as well.. you can see the damage to the tree is quite high up, he was airborne and had already had the head on impact with the mini before hitting that.

We only started doing this about 8 months ago, we do a 2 hour presentation and get all of our RTA gear out allong with the first aid kits, Oxygen, back boards etc and a body bag with a dummy in it. we do a full slide show with before and after pics and about 4 of us talking though each individual scene and then a short video about the girl in these clipslinky and then some footage from one of our RTA's. We then do an open forum about anything that people want to talk about and we're hoping to save lives.

#54 Bluejuice

Bluejuice

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Local Club: Going my own way!!!

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

Just watched the clip about the girl in the USA - hard hitting!!!!

#55 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

Its quite chilling/sobering to think that 40mph isn't even that quick, relatively. When you think of a fatal accident you immediately think of cars doing 70mph+. Just think, you could even be doing 30mph, if the other car hits you doing 50mph then thats an 80mph crash! :thumbsup:

#56 coop

coop

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

yes the other driver died as well.. you can see the damage to the tree is quite high up, he was airborne and had already had the head on impact with the mini before hitting that.

We only started doing this about 8 months ago, we do a 2 hour presentation and get all of our RTA gear out allong with the first aid kits, Oxygen, back boards etc and a body bag with a dummy in it. we do a full slide show with before and after pics and about 4 of us talking though each individual scene and then a short video about the girl in these clipslinky and then some footage from one of our RTA's. We then do an open forum about anything that people want to talk about and we're hoping to save lives.

that is a terrible story about that girl. it really puts things in perspective.

#57 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

coop looks like a lovely mini you had before the crash aswell.

Yea, reminds me a bit of my old mini, my crash and the damage is similar :thumbsup:

I have lots of crash pics but thats the only Mini one we use. i have a nice mazda MX5 Fatal (no bodies visible) and a Kawazaki ZX6R which hit a car and decapitated the rider.

Jeeez!! :unsure:

That sent shivers for me :thumbsup:. Mx5? I might be getting one of them soon :unsure: . It does freak me out so much, we're not safe at all really are we :mrcool:

#58 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

that is a terrible story about that girl. it really puts things in perspective.

her friends burned to death in the car. Deaths in car fires are by far the worst thing we go to. The body fat on the back and buttocks melts into the seat springs and when you extinguish the fire, it goes rock hard.. you then aren't allowed to get the body out until the police have donr their crime scene bit (usually several hours) the only way to remove the body from the car is to pull out what you can and scrape the rest off with a shovel... they rarely come out in one piece though.

#59 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

That really is very chilling. I would never drink and drive, not even after one drink but I will admit that I have gone a little too quick before, will definately think twice about going that little bit faster.

I think its good what you are doing gav (doing the presentations, I know it would make an impact on all of my friends who drive, probably scare everyone from getting in my mini aswell though), young teens/new drivers (myself included) do need a reality check I suppose just to show what can happen. Everyone always seems to think "oh it will never happen to me" etc etc but its not necessarily your fault.

sorry if that seems like a pointless rambling but I was trying to sum up my thoughts :thumbsup: Don't think I did a very good job of it though.

#60 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Here's a good promotion for seatbelts..... the driver and front passenger were wearing seatbelts but the back seat passenger wasn't resulting in his head smashing that of the passenger in the front. they both died but the driver walked away from the car uninjured.

Attached File  image003.jpg   22.77K   375 downloads

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2)