20 replies to this topic

#16 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 09:18 PM

Not always, the clip can actually slip into a groove within the flywheel itself. If it does this then it's goodbye to lots of money. There really is no practical and easily performed way of getting it out, particularly if a puller has been done up against the flywheel. It either comes off or it doesn't, luck of the draw. If the flywheel really won't come off then you have another option to strip the engine which is to cut through the drop gear casing. Since your casing is already smashed this won't be a major issue, just make sure you don't cut into the block or gearbox.
Once you have this apart, the flywheel and crank assembly can be taken to the bench and worked on in comfort. If the wheel still can't be taken off you will have to cut it, do it carefully and you can save the crank. The block, gearbox and crank will all need very thorough cleaning after any cutting like this.
The reason for removing the flywheel with the slot horizontal is that the #1 at TDC method only works if the person who built the engine put the clip in the right way up.
I agree with Cowboy, I don't understand why you put the flywheel back on if it was lying in the bottom of the casing?
Stick up some pics if poss, and give us a rundown of which parts you have and how much needs to be taken apart still.

#17 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 05:35 PM

Right guys i can't get a pic of my engine till tomorrow but here's an attempt to explain what's going on:

The flywheel (1) was loose from the front clutch bit (3), and was banging about resting on the bottom of the casing (2), banging about against the backplate and the clutch (3) since the bolts around the flywheel and clutch (5). The big bolt was removed from the hub (4). There is just threads in there, no washer or bolt. The hub (4) was put horizontally, and I attempted to pull it. Didn't work. I then bolted the flywheel to the clutch again using 3 bolts (5) around the circumference, and it still wouldn't budge!

Anyway to cut off the backplate or something...

Tomorrow last chance to take this *Female doggy* off or engine will be scrapped!!! Don't care if I have to cut things off as long as the block and gearbox are useable after it!

Hopefully this picture will clear up at least something..

by the way the state that my engine is now is how it is in that pic except the head is off and so is the dizzy

Sorry for dragging this on and on!

Attached Files

#18 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

Dan if I understand you correctly, you want me to cut the casing in several places? so that I can drop the box down from the block? Where would I have to cut the casing in order to achieve this?

#19 mini90

mini90

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 08:32 AM

As you have a spare crank I would personally cut the clutch off the crank, the flywheel sounds loose so cut iinto the clutch horizontaly. rather than trying to cut the cover cff and possibly damaging the block/gearbox. Whichever way you go it's not going to be easy . Good Luck

#20 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:45 AM

Okay didn't realise you had a Verto clutch, that clears up a couple of things.
If you want to save the block and gearbox (and hopefully the crank) then you need to start cutting things. Can't really help much without being there in person. It will be quite obvious as you go on what needs to come apart.
First though, try drilling the rivets around the outside of the spring carrier that hold the pressure plate driving straps to the carrier and then try to pull the wheel again as the clip might have jammed the pressure plate.
If you chisel/cut off the lugs which hold the spring in place you can remove the spring and then get to the screws which hold the carrier to the hub.
The only other advice is DO NOT cut into the diaphragm spring, it is very likely that the spring will explode if you do this. It will hurt. When verto's shatter they go off big time, when they make the unit's they do the testing in an underground concrete chamber just in case they go!
Good luck, it's going to take a while to do this.

#21 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:44 PM

Okay everything's apart. Engine is now scrapped along with the box :lol:

As for getting it off, big hammer agains the housing. Broke off everything, undid the bolts from the block. Then hammered some more, undid bolts from block to gearbox, and pulled block with crank all up. Then undid crank from block. Basically everything in the engine was utter poo, so I threw it away. bloody thing.

Kept the head, inelt, exhaust manifold, carb, camshaft + followers, oil pump (looks brand new) and a whole assortment of nuts and bolts, oh and the timing gear!

God I hate mini engines :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users