12 replies to this topic

#1 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:35 AM

Well, I wired my stereo in a couple of days ago. Like a dumbass I decided to twist the wires together as I diddnt have any bullet connectors, it all worked fine, BUT, just as I reached for the electrical tape, the live and earth touched each other, there was a pretty big spark, and now there is nothing.
Im assuming ive blown a fuse, but I cant seem to find it. In my manual it says that the fuse for the radio has two green wires and an inline fuse holder. I found two green wires and an inline fuse holder under the steering column, but this has a 16 amp fuse in, which hasnt blown.
So, has somthing else blown or is this the wrong fuse holder?,
If it matters I have an '89 mini, Mk 5 I have been told.
by the way, the stereo is just a simple one, with 3 wires, im not using any of these fancy block connectors.
pEaCE
Dom

#2 MiniMowse

MiniMowse

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:30 PM

I hate to say this, but nearly exactly the same thing happened to me a few years ago. It turned out that the big flash had actually caused the radio to fry! Ever since that time, whenever I fit a radio (and I do this quite often for myself and for others), I ALWAYS disconnect the battery until all wires are safely protected, and everything that needs to be connected IS connected.

I hope that this has not been the case for you, but I cannot reccommend enough that you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS disconnect the power before attempting a radio fit.

Good luck!

#3 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 10 February 2004 - 11:03 AM

OOO, u mite have fryed ur radio when the earth and live hit, does ur radio have a spade connector in the back of it? also check somewhere up the live for a fuse!?!

#4 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 01:47 PM

There is a bunch of in-line fuses behind the airfilter, it could be one of these.

#5 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:02 PM

alright considering you havent found any other fuse holders etc, and the ones u have found are not blown, id say you have possibly done something to the radio. or it might just be a faulty connection, you should really put a block connector in, we sell em at work for just over a tenner, and it`ll allow u to upgrade in a couple of years. i just ripped out all the wiring for my alpine and started again...dont trust an insurance company to find someone to fit a radio for you... if u need any other audio help just ask, i work for the audio section at halfords so i mite be able to help

#6 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:48 PM

o yeh and check ur main fuse block in the engine bay, you should have a permanent live feed coming from the second to top fuse...if its not been changed, do you have a multimeter?

#7 Alex1340

Alex1340

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 11:10 PM

if you take the stero to you'r local halfords then they will test it for you. but hopfuly it would just be a fuse, check to see if anything else doesn't work becasue lots of the stuff on a mini work off comman fuses.

#8 campfreddie

campfreddie

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 09:04 PM

Mad max - if i were take along a cd player, not purchased at halfords- will they fit it for me??- if so how many spondulax would i be looking at?

see im C**p at wiring and would most certainly fry my new cd player

#9 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:48 PM

right well, unofficially i would do it, depending on the wiring needed, but its entirely up to whoever fits them at your local store, we can certainly test it for you. simple job of plugging it in the board to see if it works. Its not halfords policy to fit car stereos that havent been bought through us. If you do take it in, just ask nicely and they shouldnt have a problem doing it.

#10 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:49 PM

oh its 35 pounds fitted

#11 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:52 PM

£35 ouch!, but... I guess its cheaper than blowing your stereo, which it seems I have dsone, hehe.
pEaCE
Dom

#12 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:24 PM

£35 is a way too much for plugging in some wires and i work there.

i just wana put mad max right, he didnt rip out his wires and start again, i ended up doing it lol.

right to save u money try this.

get a multimeter, put 1 terminal to the body work, and the other to the permenent live, should read about 12.5 volts.

then if u have voltage try the ignition live when the key is turned or with the enigne running, if thise both work then its likely to b ur radio, if u need any more help just ask!

#13 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:41 AM

my stereo seems to be knacered anyway something to do with the knobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users