4 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:25 PM

It's been almost 4 months since I've replaced the rear cylinders. Since then the car's done about 100-150 miles.

All this time I'm unable to get those bloody circlips onto the cylinders!! :lol:

Needless to say I don't have the special tool, nor am I prepared to pay 15 quid to order one from UK to use it ONCE...

So... other methods have to be come up with.

Seeing as the circlip doesn't play TOO much of a role (cylinders stay pretty fixed in the backplate even without the circlips) I was thinking to replace it.

Could I simply tighten a jubilee clip around the cylinder?

P.S. Brakes work perfectly and are bled etc. etc.

#2 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 03:34 PM

i've never had the proper tool, and whilst it is fiddley, its not THAT hard to fit the circlips.
i would recommend you sort something out fairly quickly, as i've had total brake failure due to the loss of a circlip!....
the wheel cylinder, complete with brake lining moved into the drum, leading to the cyclinder gatting damaged by the hub, this then lead to the total loss of fluid, which was a bit hairy as i was coming down a mountain road in wales at the time!

#3 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:59 PM

if i remember patience and a pair of pliers worked for me

#4 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:40 PM

two screwdrivers work for me

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:54 PM

I've never had the right tool either (ask my wife). I believe I replaced the wheel cylinders with the swing arm on the bench so this won't help as much.... However, I put the cylinder on a supporting block of wood with the ports pointing "up" through the back plate. I then used a big, flat blade screwdriver and a wooden mallet to flatten the circlip while I drove it onto the circlip boss. Perhaps you can rig up some method to support the cylinders and use the same technique on the car.

EDIT: by the way, don't improvise for the circlip. A buddy of mine left his circlip off thinking it wasn't important. His brakes were never adjusted properly and pulled strongly to one side until he fit the circlips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users