#1 Mini Oll

Mini Oll

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hello,

Have just picked up a BMW mini interior and fancy putting the front seats into my Mayfair. Can you simply bolt them to classic mini subframes? Or will they not fit?

Any help how to do this would be much appreciated as I have seen it done to other cars in magazines.

Cheers

#2 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

You'll have to make new subframes i think..

I've seen it done too.. Good luck.

#3 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

Standard mini seats don't have subframes, it's built in :shifty: (might depend on the age of the mini though)

You would have to fashion some subframes for the BMW seats, someone on here I think had a project thread about their Rover/BMW hybrid mini. If you can find it you may be able to contact them and ask how they did it.

#4 ImagoX

ImagoX

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Local Club: MidOhioMotoring.com

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

Standard mini seats don't have subframes, it's built in :shifty: (might depend on the age of the mini though)

You would have to fashion some subframes for the BMW seats, someone on here I think had a project thread about their Rover/BMW hybrid mini. If you can find it you may be able to contact them and ask how they did it.

The seats in my 2006 MINI cabrio bolt to rails and slide back and forth. You'd need to get a set of the rails and mount them into the car, then install the modern seats on those rails. I know I've seen photos of modern MINI seats in classic cars - one of the Haynes books recommends finding cloth MINI seats because they're often replaced and are relatively inexpensive - and use those. I'd personally love to do this as my MINI seats are indeed comfy.

#5 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

the rails will come with the seats, unless someone has taken them off (and bmw dont sell the seat rails on their own!).

All you then need to do is to make some brackets up from 4mm steel plate as its nice and strong, to fit to the MINI seat runners/rails and bolt to the mini crossmember. 2 of those for each seat.

you will then need to make 2 'legs' to support the back of the runners, i used a 4 inch square of 4mm steel plate, welded to a few inches of 1 inch box section. drilled a couple of holes in the plate, and bolted it to the floor. then you need to craft some brackets to then bolt the runners to the legs. if the back of the seat is too high, trim the legs down.

Hope you get what i mean!

i used the 4mm steel plate, as i had some kicking about. Needs to be strong as the seat carries you, and saves you if you have an accident! a seatbelt/harness is useless unless the seat is mounted properly!
Thats what i done to fit metro seats into my old mini, i dont have any pics anymore unfortunately.

#6 richgilberto

richgilberto

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: Long Island Mini Enthusiasts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

the rails will come with the seats, unless someone has taken them off (and bmw dont sell the seat rails on their own!).

All you then need to do is to make some brackets up from 4mm steel plate as its nice and strong, to fit to the MINI seat runners/rails and bolt to the mini crossmember. 2 of those for each seat.

you will then need to make 2 'legs' to support the back of the runners, i used a 4 inch square of 4mm steel plate, welded to a few inches of 1 inch box section. drilled a couple of holes in the plate, and bolted it to the floor. then you need to craft some brackets to then bolt the runners to the legs. if the back of the seat is too high, trim the legs down.

Hope you get what i mean!

i used the 4mm steel plate, as i had some kicking about. Needs to be strong as the seat carries you, and saves you if you have an accident! a seatbelt/harness is useless unless the seat is mounted properly!
Thats what i done to fit metro seats into my old mini, i dont have any pics anymore unfortunately.

Hey! If you have any photos of this I'd love to see them. I'm about to put 2010 Mayfair seats into my 1984 Mayfair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users