29 replies to this topic

#16 davegreory42

davegreory42

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:18 PM

my first year insurance on tpft on a stage one modified 1275 was £1500, i switched to endsleigh for my second years insurance, £499 all mods declared.

to see how cheap they were on other stuff i got an internet quote of £3890 tpft on a ferrari f355.

not too shabby for a 20 year old

#17 dan13l2

dan13l2

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

There is one way that a 17 year old can get insurance on anything...

Go on someone elses traders insurance.

The only thing is the excess for under 21's is huge!

#18 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:39 PM

Not as easy as that dan. On a traders policy you have to inform them via the MIB what vehicles you have.
I tried to cover mine with a few different trader companies. They would not entertain me.

#19 bensheward

bensheward

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

iv got a 1400 mini pumping out 130bhp, im just 18, and it was hard to find insurance but eventualy gt 3rd party for £1400, which is very expensive considering iv been on the road a year and its my 3rd car! just accept they h8 yound drivers!
Ben

#20 scottyegg

scottyegg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

traders policie is your best bet

policy holder has to be 21+ then add other drivers on as Spouses not named drivers.

16 -17 yer olds can be added but obviusly it does bump up the price but not as much as it would be on normal insurence

also perks are you can drive multiple cars on the insurence and caps can be set to engine sizes and values for the younger drivers on the policys.

#21 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:06 AM

Not as easy as that dan. On a traders policy you have to inform them via the MIB what vehicles you have.
I tried to cover mine with a few different trader companies. They would not entertain me.

policy holder has to be 21+ then add other drivers on as Spouses not named drivers.

16 -17 yer olds can be added but obviusly it does bump up the price but not as much as it would be on normal insurence

also perks are you can drive multiple cars on the insurence and caps can be set to engine sizes and values for the younger drivers on the policys.

^^^^

#22 MiniMrMan

MiniMrMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Local Club: HEY Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

^^^^

Do trade policies have agreed values though? so that means you crash your 20k mini and they pay you 500quids... the going price for an old mini.
Also with trade insurance, dont you need to prove that you trade a minimum of 7 cars a year? Do you not have to pay VAT and declare all your car sales...?

#23 Joshmini

Joshmini

I Want To Ride My Bicycle! (Just Not Peddle)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

Yeah my dad said i can get on his traders insuarnce when im driving not sure what age i have to be, but few mini mags away there was a R1 mini in there and it was road legal and the owner was 17-18 so it isnt impossible to get insured :thumbsup:

#24 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

The r1 mini is the guys dad's.. So hes just added to it as a second driver..

Also though.. I'd take into account what the guys have said above about traders insurance and agreed values etc before you jump in because its a cheap price!

Edited by Timtom, 21 June 2008 - 07:22 PM.

#25 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:33 PM

Traders policys are strange things.

When I tried to insure my mini, which at the time was standard engine wise but was deseamed and few bits and bobs nobody would even entertain me. I was 17 going on 18.

But I got put on traders policy, fully comp, any vehicle, anytime for around £300.

Alot of newer trade policys have alot of rules and regs that older ones dont, like younger drivers not being able to drive over a certain CC, times etc etc.

#26 sam-bcm69

sam-bcm69

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local Club: Bomber County Mini

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

hi there
im going to be 21 next year and im contemplating a fwd r1 powered mini ... once i get the kit and a decent engine should be a straight forward job ... obviously insurance is a big one still .. i will 3 years driving experience with 2 years claims does anyone no i rough estimate on how much. cheers all the best

#27 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

I insure with HIC there in the Mini World mag all the time £250 with a guaranteed value of £20k should it all end in tears. But I guess i'm an old git at 37.

That's not bad at all. I am paying £374 with Adrian Flux and I am an even older git at 48. Time to shop around methinks.

And that is not agreed value as I didn't send any of the agreed value forms off last time.

Edited by Pete649, 07 January 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#28 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Holy thread revival batman!

#29 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Never noticed the dates :lol:

#30 MiniMrMan

MiniMrMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Local Club: HEY Mini Owners Club

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Just a quick note seen as though this thread has come back up... I was insured with HIC for 5 years, fully insured for what the car is, however last year i rang up to renew and they said they do not cover Zcars mini's, sorry. Great customer service!

Edited by MiniMrMan, 17 February 2013 - 11:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users