Photo

Spraying advise - using synthetic paint!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sybong

sybong

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Please help!!!!

im have primered the mini in cellulose and started painting the roof with sythetic std black paint.... i left it for like 2 weeks and came back to a still slightly sticky car!!!!!

i then rubbed it down with some 2000 paper and its not brought the shine up or anything....oh and it had orange peel effect

has anyone got any advise for spraying with the synthetic????

cheers

simon

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

Did you degrease the roof properly?

first off,... Orange peel. Sounds like you put too much paint on, this will cause it not to cure fully.. also, in this weather.. it's too cold to be spraying (although today is lovely where i am!) and it's very wet so moisture could be in the air.

All I can suggest is to flat it all back... and start again.

#3 sybong

sybong

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

yea i did de-grease the roof...well somewhat anyway.....

will try what you said, cheers...oh and i see your looking for a mini? this one i am spraying is a C reg mayfair, 12" revo's , 998cc

will be up for sale once painted....unless you want to save me the hassle of painting it ???????

simon

#4 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

Hmm it should definitely be dry by now. Synthetic is horrible stuff to paint, you will only get orange peel if you have it too dry or have applied it at too high pressure. If you had put on too much it would have flowed out and been shiney or run like mad if its on the edges.

It sounds to me like you didn't have enough hardener. I'd take it all off with thinners and try again! Sorry...

#5 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

over the years i have resprayed around 25 cars in synthetic, i worked with a old school painter who use to paint wagons for a living with the stuff.
stand the tin of paint in a dish of hot water to warm the paint up, it helps it to flow out when warm (some old painters use to stand it in a pan with water in and boil it for a time) add 10% thinners, if you use celly thinners just add about 5% then spray a dust coat on and leave it for a few hours then check for dirt and denib if needed, then spray your top coat on and leave it with heat for a couple of days.
synthetic is not designed for flatting and polishing, the finish comes from the gun.

pete, never heard about putting hardner in before.

#6 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

When i started as an apprentice they sprayed wagons in synthetic , we had a heated pot to stand the spraygun pot in , it was full of water , you used 2 pots for the gun , one on the gun and the other heating ready to use next ,
OH and never ever try and flat & polish synthetic , it just goes dull!!!
I also have never heard of synthetic with a hardener , if it had a hardener it would be 2pac

#7 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

I also have never heard of synthetic with a hardener , if it had a hardener it would be 2pac

Ah right.. Never sprayed it myself just been told about it. I was making a guess! is it just one component then?

Edited by panelbeaterpeter, 31 July 2007 - 08:48 PM.

#8 sybong

sybong

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

thanks for the advise people....im now in the process of taking it all off but as it is still tacky its taking AGES!!!!! wiped off with thinners but cloth just sticks!!! Its just like tar!!!

I think that the pressure was most likely far too high and im sure i did not add enough of the thinners.

i tried it again on a practice panel and came up great...dried in no time at all. the only difference was i used a new tin of primer, where as the other one was old...could the primer cause a problem? cant see it myself though to be honest....

anyhow im gonna finish taking all the paint off and primer again, im just worried that if it is the primer thats at fault, ive done the rest of the car in it and will it react the same??????

any more advice MORE THAN welcome!!!

cheers

Sy

#9 _Ad_

_Ad_

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

Just wondering, why don't you spray your topcoat in cellulose aswell instead of synthetic??

#10 sybong

sybong

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

paint shop just recommended it, plus it was a little cheaper

sy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users