6 replies to this topic

#1 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:34 PM

So who does the best and how do you blank off the (removed) standard water pump?

Smudger

#2 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:26 AM

I am also interested in any replies to this one :grin:

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:09 PM

Just been reading about some of them. No idea which make brand is preferred... The one I was looking at had a 2000hr continuous motor life... Dunno whether that's long or not! $150 by the way!

As for blanking off, couldn't you just cut out a piece of sheet metal , put a gasket between it and the block and simply bolt it up like you would the water pump?

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:42 PM

The water pump is where the water goes into the engine, you can't blank it as you still need it! What you can do is rip the guts out of it and weld a plug into the inner bearing seating so that it is just a water elbow, or make a water inlet by taking a piece of sheet as Pavel said but add a spout into it (Mini Speed make such a device).
You now have no fan, but most of the electric water pump makers say you no longer need one (bearing in mind that they are mainly thinking about cars with better natural cooling air flow than the side rad setup).
You also need a much shorter alternator belt (which will wear out faster).
You could try simply removing the impeller from the pump, so you would still have the fan and a normal belt setup, but I don't know if the shaft would remain in place if you did this or how water tight it would be as I believe the impeller holds the shaft and seals in.

#5 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:50 PM

electric water pumps arnt' ment for road minis. i have spoken with mini speed and they say there is not point in them other than on wacked out 1460cc race cars and hard core racer. you don't save much power by taking the mech pump off, if your having problems with cooling get a better rad and decent 4 blade fan or eletric fan.

#6 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:30 PM

just in case you havent seen the thread on minifinity, here's a link to the imp forum with some info on electric water pumps. its a much more common mod on imps due the weak water pump set up they have.

http://www.theimpclu...73a99758d613752

#7 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:59 PM

I have run an electric water pump on my Turbo for several years. Firstly with a Metro Turbo front mounted rad. It was fine. I used the standard water pump housing with the internals removed and the end bunged up. This meant i still had the water take off and the alternator mounting, but had to use a shorter belt.
I also used it in a side mounted radiator setup. For this the impellar in the mechanical pump was machined off, but the rest of the internals were left so the mechanical fan could remain and so could the standard belt.
Due to a change of setup and space restrictions i'm back to the mechanical pump.

Phil. :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users