13 replies to this topic

#1 Tim2007

Tim2007

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while and just wandered if anybody could help-would it be possible to build a brand new(sourcing new mini parts) old style mini,as in one that every part is new so basically a brand new 'classic' min!Anybody know if all these parts could still be sourced?

#2 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds MOC

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while and just wandered if anybody could help-would it be possible to build a brand new(sourcing new mini parts) old style mini,as in one that every part is new so basically a brand new 'classic' min!Anybody know if all these parts could still be sourced?

best off buying a modern mini that building from scratch and redo it al classic, then youve got more reliability and a classic looking mini

:shifty:

#3 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

do you mean, you want to build a mini from using new parts, classic meaning not a bmw, or do you mean you want to build like a Mk1 sort of 60's retro early mini from new parts?

#4 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:49 PM

If you mean build a car which is a "classic" mini but from all "new" parts then I think it is possible yes, someone on here recently did it and registered it as an 07 "new" car, think you have to get the DVLA to inspect it for safety etc etc

#5 Tim2007

Tim2007

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

If you mean build a car which is a "classic" mini but from all "new" parts then I think it is possible yes, someone on here recently did it and registered it as an 07 "new" car, think you have to get the DVLA to inspect it for safety etc etc

Yes that's just what i meant,thanks,spose you couldn't give a rough guess as to what that would cost?

#6 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:56 PM

Plucks figure from out of the air bearing in mind a Heritage shell is £4k, I reckon best part of £10k by the time you have finished.

If you do decide to do it then to get a car registered as 'NEW' you are only allowed 1 part that is not brand new & it must be recondition to an as new condition with a receipt from the reconditioner to that effect. This is normally the engine, you will have to check with your local DVLA whether they will accept a Mini engine/gearbox as one unit, as in most cars this would be two. You will also have to produce evidence that every other part is brand new via means of an audit trail. The other problem you may have is whether you can get an A series engine to pass the latest co2 emissions tests. I think the car that yorkshirechris refered to was a R1 powered Z car so they didn't have that issue. It would have to pass a SVA before you could register it.

Alan...

#7 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:01 PM

very tough and very tight to do..... if you look on auto trader, there are several "show room condition" mini's for sale (mostly from one bloke) and occasionally you will see unregistered cars for sale where you would be the first owner *and because the was factory built and type approved, it will not need an SVA or ESVA... but don't expect any Rover Warranty!!!!!!

Edit: i'm drunk and struggling to type.

Edited by biggav, 07 August 2007 - 10:01 PM.

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:01 PM

but the emissions test is for the year of the engine so a recon 80's engine would have a 80's emission test

#9 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

hi i built a brand new classic mini,

with regards to emissions ,(if engine is your one recon item) the following applies

any engine produced after 1994 will have to have a full catylyst test i.e 0.97- 1.03 lamda and 1200 hydrocarbons,

my engine was subject to a full catalyst test as it is in a car and no longer classed as a bike engine

it is correct you would need an sva- the main problem is the steering needs to be collapsable on impact , i got around this with universal joints

new mini

#10 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

very tough and very tight to do..... if you look on auto trader, there are several "show room condition" mini's for sale (mostly from one bloke) and occasionally you will see unregistered cars for sale where you would be the first owner *and because the was factory built and type approved, it will not need an SVA or ESVA... but don't expect any Rover Warranty!!!!!!

It would still need an SVA as it is an amateur (spelling) vehicle & not by the manufacturer

Alan...

#11 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

but the emissions test is for the year of the engine so a recon 80's engine would have a 80's emission test

You would then need a letter from an approved source verifying the date of the engine if that is the case.

Alan...

#12 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:19 PM

hi i built a brand new classic mini,

with regards to emissions ,(if engine is your one recon item) the following applies

any engine produced after 1994 will have to have a full catylyst test i.e 0.97- 1.03 lamda and 1200 hydrocarbons,

my engine was subject to a full catalyst test as it is in a car and no longer classed as a bike engine

it is correct you would need an sva- the main problem is the steering needs to be collapsable on impact , i got around this with universal joints

new mini

my project pages

#13 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

It would still need an SVA as it is an amateur (spelling) vehicle & not by the manufacturer

Alan...

Yes a home built car will need SVA, mothballed unregistered factory cars don't though.

#14 Foxy Mini

Foxy Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

Awesome. My other half was thinking of doing this but was worried about the cost. We don't have a garage so he decided against it int he end because he didn't have anywhere to build it.

Shame though, that 07 plate looks awesome! We may well do it one day :shifty:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users