4 replies to this topic

#1 Ibanez

Ibanez

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:52 PM

Had a mini a week now and its my first car, been building bikes now for a few years so im not adverse to a bit o spanner wangin. Its got a cd player in it and when Im driving along if I drop it down a gear to overtake of if i back of the throttle a bit quick and every time I reverse the stereo switches off, the wipers slow down and the lights go dim, the other day the engine just cut out.
If anyone has any ideas then this would be most appreciated.
Cheers
Brad

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:01 PM

Welcome to the world of minis...

Does it cut out when you do all the above? Try checking the dashpot oil.

#3 Ibanez

Ibanez

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:07 PM

yep reverse, dropping down a gear to accelerate and dropping down a gear under braking the electrics die the engine only cut out the once.
Whats a dashpot, where is it and what oil should be in it.
Cheers

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 24 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

It could be that your alternator is worn out, or that you have a bad spark, either coil, leads, plugs, cap or arm are ready for replaicing.

See the pic below for the location of the dashpot, undo the black plastic cap (arrowed in white) and remove it. It has a plunger attached to the other side wich will come out too. If you look inside the dashpot you'll see were the tube were the plunger goes, fill this tube to the top (not the top of the dashpot, just the tube inside), with oil, normal engine oil will do, but I find they work better with something a little thinner like houshold 3 in 1 oil. Then put the cap and plunger back into the dashpot. You should feel some resistance as you try and push it back in - this is normal. When you screw the cap back up, be careful not to cross thread it...

Attached Files

#5 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:30 PM

omg ur enigne bay looks loads liek mine, hif 44 with engine stabalise except mines all red, o and u havnt got a servo liek me either!

question thouhg for the timing chain cover breather do u need a bit of pipe coming off it to stop it from catching?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users