4 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:50 PM

Right seeing as my lovely turbo package got lost somewhere... money won't allow to buy something similar again.

Luckily I have access to a garage where there are piles of turbos for random japanese cars. I could pick up a turbo from there for cheap prolly, and today came across a (knackered) diesel mitsubishi turbo which immediately caught my eye and made me think of fitting it to my mini.

It's very compact in size (smaller than t2) so would have virtually no lag, and I don't want more than about 6psi boost anyway so it should do well!

This size allows me to put it on the flywheel housing rather than try fit it behind the engine. The reason for this is that I can use a suck through system and a HIF44 carb rather than making up a plenum and using the turbo hIf44 which I would have to buy for pricey money.

The mechanic and I could make up the pipes leading to the turbo, and from the turbo to the inlet. To reduce piping quantity I'm thinking of sticking the exhaust muffler under the right wing above the wheel... that's the part that worries me least to be honest.

Main thing: a) Can these pipes be tackwelded and then brazed or must they be welded all around? Even the inlet pipe?
B) What else do I need to utilize a suck-through system using a HIF44 carb?
c) How must the advance curve be modified for turbo application (as I can't purchase a turbo dizzy around here)
d) The inlets and exhaust 'ports' of the mitsu turbo i found where about 1.3-1.6 inches in diameter, much smaller thaan the piping used in metro turbo t3 applications (close to 2.5-3"?). Will this affect performance a lot? Or will the boost cancel out any flow restrictions from such small diameter piping (it DOES make piping much easier in the space constraints of a mini).
e) Are all turbos oil cooled? If so where do I tap in for an oil feed and return for the turbo?

Thanks a lot everyone.

P.S. I've left a link in the turbo's forum but moved this to tech help since most people would look here first. Once answered, post will be moved back to turbo!

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:39 PM

The only real problem with a suck through system is finding a Turbo which is compatable. On a suck through system the Turbo needs to be specially sealed to handle the fuel/air mixture. As opposed to a blow through system where the Turbo only ever sees air. With a bit of machining you should be able to seal a standard carb, i would think ?

As for a dizzy any will do but you'll need a rolling road and a dizzy machine to get it spot on throughout the rev range. The important thing is to limit the amount of total advance the dizzy gives. Set it to give 28deg at 5,000rpm and you should be ok.
The smaller the exhaust turbine the less it will flow, and will become a restriction sooner. Once back pressure in the exhaust starts to rise power will drop off quickly, this will also limit what boost you can run.
Turbos are not oil cooled, this is the oil feed to the bearings. Most people take this from the block where the oil presure warning switch is located. As for the oil return, into the back of the block where the fuel pump is usually mounted is a favourite spot.

As for welding the pipes, this will have to be done well. Tig welded stainless would be ideal. It is also handy if you can fit some form of "bellows" to allow for heat expansion, this will help avoid cracking.

Phil. :grin:

#3 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:35 PM

this mite help (good web site phill)
http://www.turbo-min...3373/52548.html

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:36 PM

phill where do you get your carbide cutters from?

#5 clubman_dan

clubman_dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:10 PM

http://www.turbomini...p?p=vt&tid=3451

pavel check this link for some info and ideas regarding use of a diesel turbo in a petrol engine
DAN :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users