#167 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

Thanks guys.

Finished the bottom of the drivers door, needs a little bit of filler since the non-genuine panel doesn't quite have the same profile as the ridge in the door, but it came out pretty good.

Posted Image

I also lowered the edge of the floorpan where the throttle pedal meets, you can see in some of the other pictures how the depression for your feet in the floor of the car didn't line up with the pedal. Figured I might as well take care of it. I also took the opportunity to mount the throttle pedal lower, so that it was at the height it was designed to be mounted.

Posted Image

Fit, cut and welded the door bars:

Posted Image

#168 paul6266

paul6266

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Local Club: Retro Classics

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

this car looks great, makes me keep thinking about doing a vauxhall or vtec engine in mine but i do love the a series sound, great car tho :)

#169 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:14 AM

paul6266, I can't say I'm that much of a fan of the stock vtec sound, but they certainly do start to sound tasty with a big cam and a decked head...

But for now, a quick shot of the completed harness mounts and handbrake mount:

Posted Image

#170 biggles1293

biggles1293

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

Thanks guys.

Finished the bottom of the drivers door, needs a little bit of filler since the non-genuine panel doesn't quite have the same profile as the ridge in the door, but it came out pretty good.

Posted Image

I also lowered the edge of the floorpan where the throttle pedal meets, you can see in some of the other pictures how the depression for your feet in the floor of the car didn't line up with the pedal. Figured I might as well take care of it. I also took the opportunity to mount the throttle pedal lower, so that it was at the height it was designed to be mounted.

Posted Image

Fit, cut and welded the door bars:

Posted Image

Ok Chris, that looks like an awesome job you're doing, i'll be sending my mini over to you on the boat for the same treatment!!! Lol!

#171 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hey thanks man, I try to take pride in my work. Shipping time ignored, your car should be done by 2014!

No real interesting updates, stripped the car down to the bare shell and flipped it up on it's side to finish all the welding. The underside has been seam sealed and rubbed down, I'm just waiting for the rain to stop before I partition off the garage and start spraying. Also pulled apart the engine wiring loom, to find that 2 major connectors have been hacked off, as well as a decent length of wiring. Awesome. I've enrolled in a welding class, so I've been putting in work with a TIG machine. Maybe I'll make some parts later...

I'll post pictures when something cool happens.

#172 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:01 AM

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Closeup:
Posted Image

The undercoat is sprayed thicker under the trunk and in the wheel wells.

Subframe:
Posted Image

Parting shot:
Posted Image

#173 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

Resurrected!

The car is back on all four wheels and rolling around:

Posted Image

Dash version 2.0 is coming together, courtesy of my dad:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sweet new Odyssey battery, half the weight and less than half the size of a conventional battery:

Posted Image

Fuel system 80% plumbed, all stainless AN6 hard lines which I went about polishing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Muffler scored off of ebay for a price that was impossible to refuse, it's the left hand Yoshimura can from a 2008 R1. Stainless midpipe and carbon can:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Outside of the mini, I'm trying to become an aerospace welder, and just to show that I'm not slacking, 0.060 sheet butt welded with a 1/16th inch gap between the plates:

Posted Image

And a little piece I welded on a turntable:

Posted Image

#174 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

You will go to heaven, if you're not already in a heaven on earth.

Edited by Teapot, 28 March 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#175 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

NICE

#176 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

This is now my favourite ever build. Some of the stuff you've done is inspiring. Especially loving the dashboard.

#177 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

Stunning Mini & Spectacular welding skills!!
:)

#178 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

omg this is spectaculur 0.0 what type of undercoat did you use?.

#179 PJN

PJN

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

This build is just epic, I take my hat off to you and your dad for your impeccable attention to detail. I'm always envious of you American's and how when you finish this, you'll more than likely be able to get insured on it. I imagine if I built that over here and tried to get insured on it, the insurance company would surely think I was drunk.

#180 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

Wow.

I really appreciate all the kind words from you all, it really means a lot to me.

miniQ,The undercoat is from Eastwood, it has to be sprayed in a ton of really thin coats though otherwise it clumps up and pulls apart, leaving cracks.

http://www.eastwood....osol-18-oz.html

PJN, I requested a quote from Hagerty Insurance, which is a classic/modified/exotic car specialty insurance company, and even with me being a young guy it'll be around a grand a year. full coverage, $0 deductible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users