10 replies to this topic

#1 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 12:55 AM

Not again!!!!!!! just gone through a gallon of oil in a week...apparently my valve stem oil seals have gone....so foe the third time since the end of july i have to get the head off tommorrow :ohno:
The good thing is, i suppose that i now have a new head to put on the car, i think the present one is jinxed...... the mechanic at surfblue garages (jeff) said to give him a call if i have any problems with it (superstar!!) i told him i can do it with my eyes shut now. it's good to know that there is somebody there though if you need advice! will keep you posted!

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:23 AM

Buy a copper head gasket, MUCH better...

Also don't forget to torque up in stages and in the correct sequence up to the correct torque! Overtorque the nuts and you WILL blow a gasket easily (despite what people think)...

Don't forget to retorque them after you run the car once and let it cool (I let it do this on the drive rather than take it out, just so I don't have to rev it and risk blowing the gasket).

Also your block might be warped (or your head), so you can check with a metal 40cm ruler, but putting it sideways against the block or head. It will be immidiately noticeable if they're not perfectly straight!

Good luck :ohno:

#3 AlexF2003

AlexF2003

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:28 AM

Get a Payen bk450 H/gasket

:ohno:

alex

#4 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:39 AM

deary me! lol you must be realy gunning it all the time to blow that many

#5 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 January 2005 - 12:55 PM

gunnign it shouldnt really blow head gaskets miniman if fitter correctly! hope the new head and gasket help! are both of the heads unleaded?

#6 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

When the head is off look at the material between the 2nd and 3rd cylinder, this has to be dead flat with no scratches or marks. When the gasket blows in this place it shoots flames between the two cylinders and can damege the surface. If it is damaged you can weld it up and grind it flat on the cheap.

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 January 2005 - 03:29 AM

I don't remember it being said that any of the three head gaskets were blown... at least not in this thread. In this thread the head is being removed because of the stems and seals, not because it's blown.

Regardless of the reason for replacing the first two head gaskets, I like the Payen gasket referenced above. Before installing the new head check it and the block for flatness. It's just good practice.

#8 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:06 PM

head gasket did go three times
....lots and lots of mayonaise in the rocker...definitely went between three and two... two was also badly pitted....piston four was caked in carbon...head warped...cleaned the block up and put the new head on...just changed the oil....which was well contaminated with water...lets see how she goes

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:21 PM

Payen Black head gasket,, unless your head and block are prefectly flat I find Copper HG just *yellow human water* water all over the place...

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=37447

#10 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:58 PM

OK, blown three times. By all means then check both the block and the new head for flatness before proceeding. I like the Payen gasket for the same reason GuessWorks does.

#11 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:09 PM

cheers once again to everyone your help and advice is much appreciated....got her sorted and purring like a kitten on acid!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users