Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:56 AM

Hi everybody!

I may be selling my Mini pick-up. I'm not 100% sure yet if I am or not, but I just wanted to run it past you to see what you think, as to whether its worth selling it or if I should keep it.

its 1979, with an 848cc A series engine. The bodywork (as usual) is in pretty appalling condition. The whole front end will need replacing, including the inner wings. It has a very solid front bulkhead, and the scuttle and 'A' windscreen pillars have no rot at all. The roof, 'B' pillars and rear screen panel are the same, absolutely solid. The same cannot be said for the door steps and the floor. Someone at some point has cut the drivers side floor out complete and tried to weld in a replacement panel. The hole they made initially was too big, and as a result there are several large holes around the corners (especially in the footwell) where the 'new' panel doesn't meet the existing metalwork. Both doorsteps are rotten through, and both sills are gone as well. The rear side panels have come away from the bottom seams at the rear of the sills, leaving them flapping nicely, although the top of the side panels and top edge are sound. The rear valance is completely shot, and both rear arches have huge holes in them. The cab rear bulkhead has about 6" of rot along the bottom where it meets the rear load bed floor, and the load bed floor has some minor rot where the rear subframe rear (top) mountings are. Although surprisingly, the rear subframe front mountings have all unscrewed from their captive nuts in the sills. The engine, unbelievably (it stood for 6 years before I bought it) does run, we accidently started it when using the vehicle as a battery testing drone (didn't think to take the wires off the coil, gave us a bit of a shock when an unsilenced 850 burst into life!), although I have removed the fuel tank. The all round drum brakes are non existent, nuff' said. It sits on standard 10" steelies.

There are some redeeming features though. As part of the sale (if I do sell it) I will include:
- A brand new tailgate (bought from Birmingham Mini Centre)
- A brand new heelboard/rear subframe mounting panel at back of the floor (bought from Birmingham Mini Centre)
- Both o/s and n/s Mk I/II/Van/Pick-Up doors, 100% rot free, from a Mini DeLuxe, with hinges.
- Steel cut to length and bent at the right angle to form new inner and outer sills
- Anything else I find that would be useful to a prospective restorer.

Another good thing is I have completely stripped the vehicle of all its paint (apart from the front end, which needs replacing no doubt about it), so there's no hidden surprises, no filler, no bodge work. You can see exactly what needs doing, unlike when I bought it, when there were 9 coats of paint, and about 5 tins of P38 covering the vehicle. Its original colour was grey by the way.

Please do not think this will be an easy restoration job. In my eyes it will take up to two years to do a proper job on this car. It is at the moment painted in a rust preventative coating, and is kept in a dry garage undercover, to protect it from the elements.

I just really wanted to know how much people think it might be worth, and therefore I can make a decision as to whether it is worth me selling it to fund other things, or if I should keep it as an investment (its not costing me anything at the moment) for the future.

Thanks for reading, any advice will be received gratefully!

Thanks,

tom

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:13 AM

I think there will be many people interested in this!! I know Marksmini will be very interested?!

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:26 PM

I sold my pick up project about 6 years ago , there was less work on it than yours from the sound of it (but didnt run) i advertised and rang all sorts of people with wanted adds , in the end only one bloke came and looked at it , I wanted £100 he gave me £60 :sad:
how things change !
last show i went to , a bloke had the biggest shed of a van on a trailer (more patches than van!) and was asking £800 :ohno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users