#1 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

I’m starting an unusual car mini project where the car will be driven from a battery powered motor. The mini will be rear wheel drive, with the motor in the front. The motor produces up to 100Hp and will drive a ford sierra front diff that will be mounted in the custom rear subframe. It should be quite nippy as DC motors produce max torque at almost zero RPM so it should take off like a bullet but wont have the top speed of a petrol engine.

Heres a guy in America that is using two of the motors I’m using (its called White Zombie)
www.plasmaboyracing.com
I plan on doing something similar but in a classic mini.

So far I have made the rear swing arms, have the motor, a front subframe to mount the motor in and am making mounting points for the rear callipers on the swing arms at the moment. I also have the sierra diff, mini and sierra drive shafts and a prop shaft. I just need to start to put everything together.

Things I need to get are:

Mini body with no rust, ideally a complete car.
13 Batteries (16Kg each!)
Motor controller

Anyway, just thought I will let you guys know what I’m doing and any advice would be appreciated. Photos to follow.

(and before anybody says, i know the range will be C**p but hopefully enough to get me to work and back. Also think of a silent car, only noise will be tyre noise!)

Suren

#2 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

sounds like a good project.

do u need all the batteries in the car? thats alot of wieght.

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

Very intersting mate, will keep a close eye on this... definatley a contender for showdown

Edited by Retro_10s, 14 August 2007 - 11:25 AM.

#4 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

I too luck forward to seeing this one done. I looked at it a while ago using a brush less DC motor and multiple packs of Nicads.
Are you going to use lead acid?

I was thinking more amps to the kg but the Nicads were to expensive. Have you looked at killercycle vid?
I made a post on this a while back called 0 to 60 in 1.4 seconds.

#5 gazwad

gazwad

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

have you considered using an transaxle (such as the alfa 75) instead of a diff, that way you've got a gearbox so should have higher top speed?

#6 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

Yeah all the batteries will need to be in the car unless i can find a power cord long enough! :D

I am going to use hawker Sealed Lead Acid batteries. I know about Nicds but they are way too expencive, the hawkers give huge currents and can be charged quickly without fancy electronics.

The motor i have is a series wound motor not a brushless one. Brushless motors dont have the high torque, and get their power from high rpms and also require very expencive electronics.

Killacycle is cool, wouldnt want to be on a bike that accelerated that hard!

Will look into transaxles!

Cheers!

#7 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

looks like a good project.. but its a lot of weight in batteries...

200+ kgs.

is there not another way?

#8 mini_morley

mini_morley

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

Sounds like a very intersting project.
What made you decide you were going to go electric?

#9 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

I saw a website american it was , they do an electric conversion kit for VW Golfs , electric motor bolts straight onto the golf gearbox , they also do VW campervans , one guy had even converted a Porsche 911 turbo ! (15 mile range and top speed of 45mph ) lol, no space for batteries in that one !
i saw an electric min in a kitcar show 15 years ago , it had the motor from an electric forklift truck with a two speed automatic gearbox giving it a top speed of 60mph and a range of 60 miles (it was on the road and they were giving test drives)

#10 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hi,

I know its a lot of weight in batteries but i will be stripping off as much of the car as i can to compensate. Also the motor can produce huge torque i recon 200ftlb ~ 271Nm.

There are lighter batteries i could use but they are too expencive at the moment.

I decided to go electric as its somthing interesting, only know of one person who has done it but he used the standard mini gearbox and mounted the motor above it.

Also can drive through central london and not pay congestion charge.

Suren

#11 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

lol no congestion charge??

hmm what about caravan batteries? surely they are bigger.. but weigh less than a few others?

#12 mini_morley

mini_morley

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

Wow, that 911 sounds really pointless.
Ah yes, stop the governement getting as much money as possible, i like that idea, and yes, its certainly intersting, i cant say ive heard of anyone else doing this. Good luck, keep us posted with how it all goes!

#13 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

i guess its one of these people who dont care the outcome as long as its different?

im refering the the 911..

ill stop spamming this now :D

#14 Mephiston

Mephiston

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Local Club: London and Surrey

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

i realise your converting the subframe but i would strengthan the body as well (when you get one) if its to hold that way, you may also want to go for coilovers as they should be able to take a bit more weight- saying that you may need customer coilovers

what are your plans for the suspension ?

#15 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

I'm converting the subframe for now, but eventually i will make my own custom one. I plan on putting batteries in the rear, and front subframes and some around the rear seats to get almost perfect weight destribution.

Yes, will be using coilovers all round. I may need custom coils made up but havent got that far yet.

Will be using mostly standard mini suspension bits in the front, the rear will have my own swing arms, and coilovers.

Will be using VW calipers at the back with the hand brake mechanism, hopefully will be welding the mounting lugs over the weekend onto the swing arms for the calipers.

Suren

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users