#1 guism

guism

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

hi mates,

i don´t know what to do.. the astra gte 1.6 8v engine as 100hp and mini 1300 as something like 80hp (more or less), but mini have a lot of spares and stages to tuning the engine and the astra gte haven´t so many parts to tuning the engine...

really i don´t know what to do.

is not possible put a 16v engine in the car because the portugal police and laws!

what to do?? please help me!

ps: the vauxhall 1.6 8v engine is biggest then the morris mini 1300?? but...a lot or don´t??

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

You'll know best about legislation in Portugal better than most of us but it sounds risky to break the law not only because you could be fined or worse but your insurance could well be invalid and if caught out you might struggle to get insurance in the future.
A 1275 A series engine could be made to make a mini move almost as well as a 1600 with a lot less work involved too.

#3 guism

guism

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:24 PM

You'll know best about legislation in Portugal better than most of us but it sounds risky to break the law not only because you could be fined or worse but your insurance could well be invalid and if caught out you might struggle to get insurance in the future.
A 1275 A series engine could be made to make a mini move almost as well as a 1600 with a lot less work involved too.

here in portugal we have racers with mini´s 1275gt and the engine have 137hp...i want to know how can i putt so much hp in an engine?!

#4 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:08 AM

but a lot less driveable, unreliable, and not as good on fuel

plus the fact the vauxhall has 5 speed !

go for the vauxhall :thumbsup: much better

#5 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:32 AM

as above.. id get the vauxhall engine.. it starts out at 100bhp but thats standard and it can then be tuned further...

#6 Mephiston

Mephiston

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Local Club: London and Surrey

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

try having a search for some vauxhall tuning forums (there must be a few out there) see how they modify their engines it maybe easier than you think

#7 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:19 AM

theres a lot which can be done to them!! >_<

#8 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

the 1.6 8v engine (multipoint injection) is still used in the current range of astras. using an allspeed subframe it will fit into a a standard round nose mini (although the inlet manifold will need cutting and rewelding). you would be looking at between 100-110bhp plus loads more torque than what a heavikly tuned a series could produce.

in the longer term, you would get better fuel economy WITH MORE POWER, better spares availabilty in portugal and way more relability (it is for these reasons that i decided to go for a vauxhall conversion).

also, if you wanted more power, by going down the throttle body and standalone mappable ecu route, you can get about 140bhp. remember that these engines were used at one point in westfields/caterhams >_<

to do a standard 1.6 8v installation using an allspeed kit for example would cost in the region of £1500-2000 for the complete kit plus second hand late model engine. compare to a full 1380 build at around ??? £1200 perhaps for only 100bhp, then it might only last for a few years unless you drive it like a nun. if you blow the vauxhall engine up, get down the scrap yard, swap em over - job done.

Edited by maph2, 22 August 2007 - 10:18 AM.

#9 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

as above >_<

#10 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:06 AM

here in portugal we have racers with mini´s 1275gt and the engine have 137hp...i want to know how can i putt so much hp in an engine?!

Ive got a 1430 with race head, 286 cam, 1.5:1 ratio rockers, 11 arp studs, long stroke nitrocarbonised cross drilled crank, all of the threads have been tapped out a size on the block to hold the gearbox on, Xpin dif, straight cut transfer gears, 2 core rad, 13 row oil cooler, leccy fuel pump... and itll be quick enough! And a very strong engine too.

Its easy to get that kinda power from an A series, but its harder to make it drivable. But over an 8v vax engine..... id choose the A series every time, really raw delivery, nice sound, original, you get to keep the A series subframe rather than sometimes switching to a K series when it stops feeling like a mini and just looks like one.

Alex votes A series

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:06 AM

Yes but he may never get to drive a Vauxhall modded mini if Portugese legislation means he can't put it on the road.

The A series mods would be pretty much bolt on, less obvious, and getting a mini to shift very nicely and stay reliable at near the power level of a standard Vauxhall 1600 isn't impossible.

#12 guism

guism

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

hi again!

well i was wondering...we are all in european union so..if you guys can put vauxhall 16v engine road legal in a mini i think that i can put too!!! can you get me this information??

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

Information on Portuguese vehicle legislation???? I think your command of portuguese may be better suited to the task!

Don't think being in the EU matters we have the steering wheel on the other side for starters.
I also believe you wouldn't even get away with a performance air filter in Germany and they are the EU more or less.

#14 guism

guism

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

Information on Portuguese vehicle legislation???? I think your command of portuguese may be better suited to the task!

Don't think being in the EU matters we have the steering wheel on the other side for starters.
I also believe you wouldn't even get away with a performance air filter in Germany and they are the EU more or less.

well...Portugal is a third world country! most things here are so stupid!

i have to go to england >_<

#15 8vAlan

8vAlan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: NENE Valley

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:13 PM

im going down the c16se (1.6 8v vaux) route! iv seen a couple of vids on youtube, and must say i love the sound and torque the 8v produces. originally the plan was to do everything my self - but i have not the technical know-how for this (although i have friends and family that do) so im thinking about going down the tried and tested route of allspeed - they seem to know their stuff!

Allspeed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users