#1 mayfairman

mayfairman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Local Club: Brown Monkey

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

Hi, i have replaced the points,plugs,condenser,rotor arm,and dizzy cap,the points have been adjusted.
The problem is that ,while driving, the car seems to be lacking power and judders, even pulling the choke out dosn't seem to make any difference it is like a fuel problem but has only happened since i replaced those parts .Any ideas welcome.
Many thanks.

#2 soopercooper

soopercooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:21 AM

might seem obvious, but have you definately put the HT leads back on the dizzy cap in the right order? - I've made this mistake before, and the car will run albeit very lumpy.

Also, did you move the dizzy whilst you were doing the points and/or cap? as if it's not in exactly the same position that it was, this will throw the timing out.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:24 AM

Exactly what's been going on with my 998, I would remove the dashpot from the carb, check the needle's not bent or fouling, and replace the oil in the dashpot ( use 3in1 ), you've changed all the ignition setup, so I would now get the mixture set and timing..a Quick tune in otherwords...

#4 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

i would put it down to your ignition timing, sounds like mine atm

#5 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:26 PM

Don't use 3-1. They spend lots of money designing these engines and carbs. Use the correct fluid. 3-1 does not do the job properly. Any serious mini mechanic/garages will tell you this.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:04 PM

I defend what I sat about 3in1, it is pretty much the same as the Light SU dashpot oil in viscosity, and during the colder winter months does not clog and prevent the dashpot from rising quickly enough, unlike heavier grade oil eg: engine oil.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:29 AM

Definitely sounds like ignition timing to me. Consider a new coil too.

You can't just say don't use 3 in 1 for the dashpot, and you can't just say always use SU fluid. Depends on what carb it is (even 3 in 1 is to thick for the HD carb in most cases for example) and it depends on how the engine is tuned and what you want from it. Any serious Mini tuner would tell you that you can get very different results by changing the type of carb oil. The only thing they would all agree on is that most multigrade engine oils aren't up to it as Guesworks said.

#8 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:45 AM

the quicker the engine accelerate the quicker the dasdh pot needs to rise, therefore a different viscosity in oil and as dan said its very difficult to know whihc one to use! 3 in 1 is a great for a std/mildly tuned engine and is very similar to the SU stuff remembering that its only use is as a damper

#9 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:28 AM

Ive got some su oil and it looks almost similar to 3 in 1 for its viscosity, the only differences could be with temprature...

#10 mayfairman

mayfairman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Local Club: Brown Monkey

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:15 PM

:thumbsup:
Thanks every one for your help i have got a kit to refurb the carburetter so i will do that and then get it tuned.The carb is probably the same one that it left the factory with, 97,000miles ago so it has done well. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users