#1 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

I have Yr 2000 MPI Cooper Sport and occasionally have problems starting it.

The battery is approx. 6 months old and charges OK. When I turn the key, I get a click, but it seems reluctant to turn, almost as if its straining !! Try again straight away and it fires up ok. Starts up OK for the rest of the day after the initial firing up.

Any ideas ??? I think it might be the solenoid or starter motor - but don't want to replace these without knowing for sure as they're very expensive (£100+). Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

Clean the engine ground strap points with a bit of emery paper, one on the body and one on the engine. Normaly located at the engine steady bar from the base of the master cylinders to the steady bar bolt on the engine, though not being that conversant of the MPi car, it may be in a different place.

Deffo sounds like a ground strap issue ;D

#3 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

thanks for the rapid response ;D I'll give it a go and let you know....

#4 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

thanks for the rapid response :) I'll give it a go and let you know....

Removed the old strap (which turned out to be in good nick ) and cleaned up the lugs and connections. Put it back together and its no better.

Took it all apart again and put on another strap to double up and still no joy.

Cleaned up all the cables/connections onto the solenoid. Then cleaned up the battery earth strap in the boot as well, but still no improvement....

I'm getting a click when I turn the key, but it won't turn over - straining...? :D

If I try flicking the key round a couple more times she eventually fires........any more suggestions !!!

Cheers

#5 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

sounds like a sticking solenoid. take it off, 2 smallish bolts hold it on to the starter motor. clean it up and re fit it.

it might work, but there could be a problem with the starter motor itself or the ignition barrel and wiring.

#6 Elisha-The-Cooper

Elisha-The-Cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Local Club: leeds m.o.c

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

mpi parts tend to be about 200% more expensive than any other mini parts lol i should know. there better quality though :D

#7 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:02 PM

mpi parts tend to be about 200% more expensive than any other mini parts lol i should know. there better quality though :D

i know as well! but i work in a motor factors so ive never paid full price for anything

#8 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

i know as well! but i work in a motor factors so ive never paid full price for anything

pssshh meh grumble *mumbles under breath* :lol:

just as a suggestion, you tried opening it up before starting engine - i.e. foot down slightly on the accelerator?

Does sound like starter solenoid - somthing like a dry connection that on the first attempt your kicking volts through its partially making a circuit (the click is the relay behind the dash), then on the second attempt the connection is enough to get the power to the starter. Could be worth having a prod around with a voltmeter.

Edited by nev_payne, 04 September 2007 - 02:36 PM.

#9 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

pssshh meh grumble *mumbles under breath* :-

just as a suggestion, you tried opening it up before starting engine - i.e. foot down slightly on the accelerator?

Does sound like starter solenoid - somthing like a dry connection that on the first attempt your kicking volts through its partially making a circuit (the click is the relay behind the dash), then on the second attempt the connection is enough to get the power to the starter. Could be worth having a prod around with a voltmeter.

Thanks for all the advice. I took a voltmeter to it and, with guidance from a friend, we discovered that the solenoid was intermittently losing volts to the starter motor. Everything was spotlessly clean and all earths/connections already good, so we replaced the entire starter motor/solenoid assembly and it now starts up on the button. :turtle:

PS. Nev - I suspect you must have been the guy with the knightsbridge next to me at the SMOC show and shine. I had the red Cooper sport. Hope you got my email about the parts supplier and that you'd won a prize !! Nice one....!!

Again, thanks to everyone for your help.

#10 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

I had?!?!?!?!

:- :turtle: :)

#11 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

I had?!?!?!?!

:P :wub: :P

You came 43rd out of 51, but as there were a lot of people with the same scores, I think you actually came joint 19th :P - which sounds better !!!! You should have picked up a little corgi model (gold one funnily enough!!!) I'm sure if you contact SMOC they'll send it on.

by the way, I came 5th overall and 2nd in class - which was a very nice surprise !! :P

#12 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

Nice one you deserve it matey that cooper is just a drool magnet. :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users