#1 D3nch

D3nch

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Local Club: "The Boys are Back"

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:45 PM

Hello, simple question for a simple person (me) whats the difference between, Crystal headlights, and Standard? I like the look of angel eye, but want to know what Crystal are before i buy

Add :thumbsup:

#2 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:25 AM

Ive just bought some crystal headlights, angel eyes have the same effect as crystal but with the halo too. The crystal is the effect the glass and the bulbs have when in use. They are a good improvement from the sealed beam units because you can replace the bulbs and not the entire unit!

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:32 AM

Crystal lights have all the beam shaping done by the complex reflector (they are really called complex reflector headlights, Crystal is a bit of a Nova driver chavvy marketing technique), which means they have a very clear lens without any ribs or elements, so it looks more like a plain piece of glass. Standard lamps have a plain reflector which just chucks all the light straight forward, so the beam shaping is handled by the lens which is segmented and ribbed so it looks like a glass grid.

Incidentally I don't think stick on beam diverters work on Crystal headlamps, so if you are going overseas or coming to the Ring with us then you might want to keep your old lamps in reserve to swap over before hitting the continent.

You don't have to fit Crystals or Angels to ditch the nasty sealed beams. Fit any halogen H4 upgrade lamp kit and you will have replaceable, modern, bright lamps.
If you have a Twin-Point then you already have halogen replaceable bulbs, or they may have been fitted by a previous owner as they are a good and popular mod.

Edited by Dan, 24 January 2005 - 10:36 AM.

#4 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:32 PM

Ive just bought some crystal headlights, angel eyes have the same effect as crystal but with the halo too. The crystal is the effect the glass and the bulbs have when in use. They are a good improvement from the sealed beam units because you can replace the bulbs and not the entire unit!

true but the previous owner of my car had several headlights replaced as they would just get water in them so he bought the sealed ones instead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users