Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Local Club: Sasmog.co.uk

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:57 PM

Helllo there again :wub:

today as i was leaving to go to minis by the sea i just coming to end of my road i changed down to 2nd gear and was a loud BANG and felt like it had locked up or like the engine had moved or mounts had gone :gimme: i dumped the clutch as soon as it went bang and rolled round the corner shouting what the hell this time :gimme: :o i turned the engine off and just selected all gears to see i still had them i then got out car and checked under the car for any signs i then rocked the engine. all seems fine??? :D so i jump back in start her up and go to select gear, no chance it just doesnt want to go in atall all i get is the car starts to creep forward.

so i rolled it back home and got lift to the show and only just got back so i jacked engine up and removed the clutch housing the clutch all seems to be there? bearing there in place as i was thinking it may of gone or what eva? but it all seems to be there and working. the engine will not start in gear with clutch down iswell

also it had a new clutch bout 2months ago.

anyone have any ideas on what it could be? it sounds liek clutch to me but just wana check could it be ne thing to do with gearbox??

many thanks hope makes sence

Edited by Ollie180, 02 September 2007 - 06:04 PM.

#2 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

Did you check see if the slave cylinder was doing it's thing before you took it off?

After it went bang and you dumped the clutch did the car coast to a stop (ie the clutch worked) or was it idling along in second still?

Was the bang just a noise or was there a jolt/wheels locked etc.??

Sounds like clutch to me but I don't have much gearbox experience, this info might help someone else help you tho!

#3 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

well it went bang and it felt like it locked up but i couldnt say for def if it did it just felt like it did as it just felt like the car slowed right then very quickly

sorry yeh i did check the slave cyliner was all moving

tbo i cant remeber what happend, was all done very quick i just no i dumped the clutch and rolled to stop and jsut turned it off i dont no if i tok it out of gear befor i stoped or any thing

all i can think of at the mo is that maybe the diafram in the clutch has calaplsed? but i still dont under stand why it would make the car do what it did :wub:

Edited by Ollie180, 02 September 2007 - 06:45 PM.

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

Verto Clutch?

#5 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:16 AM

yes vectro

going to start taking the engine out later on after work.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

May sound a silly idea, but try starting it in gear, clutch in and out...

With clutch in, if you get movement, then it's the clutch, if not and you get movement when clutch out, then sounds more like the double roller has let go and means the third motion shaft is jumping around... the alternative is you've just stipped the laygear of it's teeth...

#7 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

could this be the problem?!? :) :lol:

Posted Image

looks like it snapped and had jamed between the clutch plate (hence causing me not being able to get any gears)

Edited by Ollie180, 03 September 2007 - 06:44 PM.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

Probably wouldn't help :lol:

The real problem is whatever caused it to snap though.....

#9 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

well i do remeber one of the bolts having the end of the bolt like it was cut at a angle, tbo i didnt take any notice to it as it looked like it was done for a reason? so duno if that could be it if that was the bolt that snapped :)

emailing minispares to see what i can do as at this point looks like i need a new clutch (again) as its bent the plate so seeing if i will have send it back to get refund or new one :lol:

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:51 PM

yes vectro

going to start taking the engine out later on after work.

LOL my next post was going to be this, but you already found it :lol:

Funny thing was this engine idled reasonably well when they pulled over, but it wouldnt start once it was switched of, for obvious reasons.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 03 September 2007 - 11:05 PM.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:01 PM

Looking at your picture, your clutch has been replaced, and with one that has come wothout the taper boss, therefore the taper boss has been removed from the original clutch and fitted to the new using the new bolts that have come with the new clutch kit, If you did get the bolts? New bolts have thread lock aplied on them. If using the old bolts, did you thread lock them? What did you torque them up to?

The problem is that the torque setting for these bolts is not documented and if getting confused with the 18lbft setting for the pressure plate to flywheel bolts, then i can see why this problem exists. This fault is becoming more and more frequent as clutches no longer come with the taper boss as it is now NLA, resulting in the wrong bolting up procedure.

There is no way that 18lbft is enough to give the right clamping force of the flywheel to taper boss, resulting in the two parts moving, giving a high shear load due to the torque being transmitted through it from the crank to the primary gear, the bolts then fail.

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 03 September 2007 - 11:02 PM.

#12 annodomini2

annodomini2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

Looking at your picture, your clutch has been replaced, and with one that has come wothout the taper boss, therefore the taper boss has been removed from the original clutch and fitted to the new using the new bolts that have come with the new clutch kit, If you did get the bolts? New bolts have thread lock aplied on them. If using the old bolts, did you thread lock them? What did you torque them up to?

The problem is that the torque setting for these bolts is not documented and if getting confused with the 18lbft setting for the pressure plate to flywheel bolts, then i can see why this problem exists. This fault is becoming more and more frequent as clutches no longer come with the taper boss as it is now NLA, resulting in the wrong bolting up procedure.

There is no way that 18lbft is enough to give the right clamping force of the flywheel to taper boss, resulting in the two parts moving, giving a high shear load due to the torque being transmitted through it from the crank to the primary gear, the bolts then fail.

I spoke to mini-spares about this recently its 40lbs/ft

#13 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

yeh i replaced my clutch about 2 months ago, and i used all the new bolts and they all had locktite on them :lol: i cant remeber the setting i did them up to but it was in the book somewhere i will have a look later

ive just orded a new clutch that should be here 2moz (hope)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users