10 replies to this topic

#1 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

Looking at installing my pair of HIF4 carbs but struggling to get my head round how to do the linkage. Done a search but that didn't turn up anything useful.

Anyone done this before or have these carbs on their car? Photos would be great!!

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:11 PM

Did they come as a pair? Can't think of any Hif's that used in a pair in Mini friendly format.

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

I got a pair of hs2 twins that I can do a pic of if you need it.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Yes they are a pair, not originally Mini fitment though. I know it has been done before and I'm sure there are people on this forum that have them!

Thanks Adam but I don't think it will help, I need pics of HIF4s to see how others have got round the problems of fitting non-Mini intended carbs. The biggest problem is that the throttle spindle actually rotates the opposite way to HS2, HS4, HIF44 etc.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

Yes they are a pair, not originally Mini fitment though. I know it has been done before and I'm sure there are people on this forum that have them!

Thanks Adam but I don't think it will help, I need pics of HIF4s to see how others have got round the problems of fitting non-Mini intended carbs. The biggest problem is that the throttle spindle actually rotates the opposite way to HS2, HS4, HIF44 etc.

That's very odd, I'd have thought the throttle disc would have to turn the same way for the jets to work properly?

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

Errrmm.....forgive the ignorance but why not just flip the discs round and the spindle. Make them open then other way.

I know the disc is cut so it seals on the side of the carb. Might work.

It's just an idea.

....don't hurt me.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:13 PM

Cable would still be setup to go the wrong way.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:19 PM

That's very odd, I'd have thought the throttle disc would have to turn the same way for the jets to work properly?

The throttle spindle isn't connected to the jet?

Errrmm.....forgive the ignorance but why not just flip the discs round and the spindle. Make them open then other way.
I know the disc is cut so it seals on the side of the carb. Might work.

But then all the idle speed and throttle stop parts wouldn't work. Its more than just the throttle disc that restricts movement in a particular direction.

Its the cable set up that is the problem - most carbs have the throttle cable pulling up, rotating the throttle spindle clockwise by the cable running underneath the crank. These need the cable pulling horzontally to rotate the spindle anticlockwise by the cable running over the top of the crank - its hard to explain, you need to have played with them really.

Edited by GraemeC, 05 September 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

Think I've got this sussed thanks to help from Icklemini.

Would still like pictures of other peoples installs though, especially in the car showing cable brackets etc.

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

Use an HIF38 abutment plate on one of the carbs, that will put all the cables right. Then you just join the spindles up using rods as for any other twin setup. You need to put special nuts on the choke spindles I think. Burlen will have all the parts.

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thought about the HIF38 abutment plate - but haven't managed to track one down to try it! MiniSpares only seem to list the 44 one which doesn't work (been there and tried it!).

Joining the spindles is the easy part - although the rods need shortening to fit and the throttle linage becomes a snug fit once the actuating clamps are on there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users