1881 replies to this topic

#76 Ricco

Ricco

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:14 PM

Excellent thread mate.. i have been researching the idea for a while now but am finding it difficult to justify the cost. If you don't mind me asking, what is your total bill from Z-Cars? I know the basic kit is £4k inc VAT plus an engine, plus a reverse mechanism, plus a mini etc etc Exactly what is NOT included in the kit? Radiator, Fuel tank I.E what other things do you have to buy to install it?

What things do you have to shell out to Z-cars for in a one-er? just the kit? do you need the engine etc at the same time?

I think the best option would be to buy an old mini and start making the repairs, buy/install the kit then get the whole lot resprayed before bolting everything back on, i would be looking at this as a long term project but am trying to get a feel for the big bucks outgoings and where in the project timeline they would fit in?

I currently have a MINI Cooper S but would love to have this as a hobby, never really done anything major myself with my cars, mainly becuase i'm scared of wrecking it but if i bought an old mini for a few hundered quid then whats the worst that can happen while i'm hacking it apart :lol:

Any answers to my questions would be cool mate.

Thanks,
Richard.

#77 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:39 PM

Excellent thread mate.. i have been researching the idea for a while now but am finding it difficult to justify the cost. If you don't mind me asking, what is your total bill from Z-Cars? I know the basic kit is £4k inc VAT plus an engine, plus a reverse mechanism, plus a mini etc etc Exactly what is NOT included in the kit? Radiator, Fuel tank I.E what other things do you have to buy to install it?

What things do you have to shell out to Z-cars for in a one-er? just the kit? do you need the engine etc at the same time?

I think the best option would be to buy an old mini and start making the repairs, buy/install the kit then get the whole lot resprayed before bolting everything back on, i would be looking at this as a long term project but am trying to get a feel for the big bucks outgoings and where in the project timeline they would fit in?

I currently have a MINI Cooper S but would love to have this as a hobby, never really done anything major myself with my cars, mainly becuase i'm scared of wrecking it but if i bought an old mini for a few hundered quid then whats the worst that can happen while i'm hacking it apart :angry:

Any answers to my questions would be cool mate.

Thanks,
Richard.

Right were do we start?

The only option apart from the reverse kit that I went for was a limited slip differential apart from that everything else is included.

With the kit you get fuel tank radiator handbrake cable shocks gear lever and cable throttle arm thingme ehaust manifold exhaust backbox etc etc. It is alot more comprehensive than I first thought to be honest. I've only taken a picture of the really exciting bit but there is a lot more than that!

Most of the things I've bought are because I started from a bare bodyshell.

I think once you have bought the car then prep'ed it all you really need other than the kit is a rev counter that can reach about 14Krpm some good seats and some 4 point harnesses everything else is down to personal tastes...

I think it probably would be a good idea to get the kit and the engine at the same time only because I personally intend to mount the engine into the frame and then fit the kit to the car. Primarily because lifting the engine through the door and trying to locate it I can just see becoming a nightmare.

If your considering this seriously the best thing you can do is call Chris at Z-cars and arrange to go up and have a look around a chat and a test drive..... But be warned if you go for the drive and you have the money you will and I do mean will buy a kit!!! It is simpley stunning!! :angry:

I sold my Impreza last year it was rolling roaded at 296BHP before I fitted a new intercooler new injectors custom mapped ecu and new coils and flywheel. It was a good chunk quicker afterwards did a 13.3sec quarter mile (with a missed 2nd to 3rd gear change) and I am confident that this Mini will obliterate it!!!!! :lol:

I hope that clears up some questions e-mail me if you'd like to know anymore.

Ade

#78 clubman_dan

clubman_dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:15 PM

looking good mate, should be a rocket when its done!!
the subframe and cage look stunning in that colour,
nice one!
DAN :lol:

#79 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

How much BHP and tourque are you expecting ?
and how will this work out as BHP/ton ?
i just want to do some sort of comparison

#80 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:18 AM

wow.. i mean i just got my mini T and i think once i get it up and running a z-car wont be far behind either in my clubman or a new mini :grin: :grin:

very very long long long long long term project though.... :tongue:

#81 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:30 AM

How much BHP and tourque are you expecting ?
and how will this work out as BHP/ton ?
i just want to do some sort of comparison

The R1 injection is quoted at 172Bhp @12.500rpm :lol:

My target weight is 500Kgs but a man in the know reckons it'll be about 470kgs!!!!

If we assume 500kgs it'll be 344Bhp/per ton!!!!!!! :saywhat: :angry:

Should make it quite entertaining :cool:

Ade

#82 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:33 AM

wow.. i mean i just got my mini T and i think once i get it up and running a z-car wont be far behind either in my clubman or a new mini :grin: :grin:

very very long long long long long term project though.... :tongue:

I'd love to see a z-cars kit in your blue clubman!! I'm not usually a fan of clubbies but that one looks very nice!

#83 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hi ade.
Is the floor reinforced where the cage bolts to the body?

#84 Ricco

Ricco

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the reply... there is no mention of radiator or fuel tank on the website you see. Do you know how much Z-Cars are charging for the reverse mechanism as fitted to your kit?

What Scoob did you have? I used to have a Catalunya just over a year ago that was a faptastic car!

Attached Files

#85 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:42 PM

Hi ade.
Is the floor reinforced where the cage bolts to the body?

Hi Al

Yeah the contact area is much bigger on mine than the standard kit with metal plate both sides. Combine that with the chequer plate and it should be very strong.

Ade

#86 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the reply... there is no mention of radiator or fuel tank on the website you see. Do you know how much Z-Cars are charging for the reverse mechanism as fitted to your kit?

What Scoob did you have? I used to have a Catalunya just over a year ago that was a faptastic car!

Mine started life as a standard unmolested MY96 uk scooby. After about 5 years and some fairly extensive mods it was a bit lairy :lol:

The reverse kit is £400.

Attached Files

#87 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:49 PM

Nice scoobs fellas.. I spy FMIC on yours Ade.. :lol:

What have you got as your daily car now Ade?

#88 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:54 PM

Nice scoobs fellas..

What have you got as your daily car now Ade?

Ah a painful question that one...... I must say before I tell you what it is that it a company car and I do detest it!! I really do not like anything about it!!!! It's a Citroen Zsara Picasso diesel piece of poo!!!! :lol:

To say I miss me scoob and can't wait for me minus to be done is somewhat of an understatement!!!!

#89 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:58 PM

ouch.. fuel must be a bonus though..

How are you going to live without the burble? I could listen to the Scoob soundtrack all day mmm...

#90 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:01 PM

I still have a video my mate took of one of my runs up santa pod!! 13.2 secs of awesome scoob soundtrack!! Was my first run ever up the strip so was not going all out didn't even have the antilag switched on :lol: Still sounds super faptastic though!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users