#106 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:26 PM

Ade,

Yeah like those ideas bout bulk head alot - pick up rear panel would keep it the family so to speak and i feel give a much better experience in the 'cockpit' than just an aluminium jobby.

However, idea of getting air in would look good and practically must be an issue with the kit??. Reckon u should try and get intake like on the bonnet of a an F40, its like a tapering slot but in this case would be in the window. Im sure iv seen it on race cars in perspex cars cant remember where.

My masterplan is a rally style roof vent with some central ducting along ceiling and down to engine. Seen an off the shelf vent from Demon Tweeks but its carbon and is stupid money. Talkin of this was interested in the comments bout costs and ability to do this project on a budget. I love cars - it annoys me so much looking down my street or when im doin the mamoth journey upto uni from london that the vast majority of cars on the road are just so mundane. Even if your project costs like 8 grand what could u get new for this - nothing interesting, u could prob get something pretty intersting second hand but then there are all the difficulties associated with this and it certainly wouldnt be anything like as one off as what ur proposing. Anyway I just think the money will be worth it, rant over sorry.

Got a couple of other questions... where did u get the engine from and what r those carbon rage things u put a pic up of?

Cheers,

Al

#107 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:43 PM

Even if your project costs like 8 grand what could u get new for this - nothing interesting

Very good point, people always ask me (with the problems I've had with minis), 'why don't I get a new 'decent' car that reliable and normal?!' I usually just reply that I prefer a car to have character and be interesting, there isn't alot they can say back to that.

#108 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

The carbon rage items are lockable bonnet pins.

The engines where found by my mate Pete so I can't remember where he got them.

Ade

#109 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:21 PM

Engines came from cheshire motorcycle salvage. Ordered them online and got a good price because we brought 2 engines complete with looms etc. Handy having 2 people building similar cars. It's amazing how much discount you can get when you want 2 of everything :wink:

Pete

#110 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:27 PM

heh.. try telling someone you're building a Rear engined, bike powered original minus... on a budget

Think both our budgets went out the window after the first visit to z-cars :tongue: :lol:

#111 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:03 PM

heh.. try telling someone you're building a Rear engined, bike powered original minus... on a budget

Think both our budgets went out the window after the first visit to z-cars :tongue: :wub:

Yep I still remember you weren't sure if you were going to do it.

Then the massive grin on your face as you came back into view after the test drive was enough to tell me you were going to do it!! I'm sure you'd have written the cheque in the mini if you'd had the chance :grin:

#112 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

Well I'm slowly but surely feeling almost back to my normal self after the operation. :thumbsup: So will be hoping to get stuck back into this on the bank holiday weekend. Just got to try and convince some friends to come and help with anything heavy lifting wise and I'll be back with pictures of progress.

Talk about frustrating being no more than 10ft away from a garage full of parts that need assembling and not working for four weeks and not able to even get into the garage!!! :sad: :blink:

The wait will be over soon though :grin:

Ade

#113 Joontae

Joontae

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

Hey man I hope you make a full and quick recovery. Just read up on your project. Looks wicked. I bet that will fly. As I wasi n the car this morning my mom gave this stellar Idea to put a Hayabusa in an old 70's Honda Z600. Hmm now the brain is thinking. Have fun with that beast!

#114 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:41 PM

Hey mate,

Glad ur feeling more like it. Get back on it as soon as u can... by far the most exciting project here as far as i can see

Cheers,

Al

#115 Joontae

Joontae

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:38 AM

I have a question. If they do a rear mounted. Can they do a front mounted single hayabusa engine?

#116 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:46 AM

rally sport replicas do a front mounted R1 engine with either front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.

#117 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:10 AM

I've just thought about this, do you know how the insurance will be when you've finished this project?! I hear from Dom that your about the same age as me (19)?

#118 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:14 AM

Hey mate,

Glad ur feeling more like it. Get back on it as soon as u can... by far the most exciting project here as far as i can see

Cheers,

Al

Cheers mate! Can't wait to get back in the garage and get on with it. So far I only have one sucker ahem I mean friend who's agree'd to help that weekend am working on some more :cheese:

Joontae

You should have a good look at the Z-cars website. They can put a bike engine just about anywhere!! There 4wd tiger with two engines up front is a testiment to inginuity.

Ade

#119 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

I've just thought about this, do you know how the insurance will be when you've finished this project?! I hear from Dom that your about the same age as me (19)?

I wish Jammy!!! I'm 29!! :sad: Does help with insurance though :grin:

The car will be on a classic car policy garaged most of the time, limited mileage etc I have 12 yrs no claims rough guesses so far are about £350 to £500 a year :grin: Not bad considering I as paying about £750 on my Scooby.

Ade :cool:

#120 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:51 AM

Wow, thats cheap. But that question was mainly aimed at AlBurglar, sorry, wrong thread really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users