#1 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

how you sort ignition timing out on a mini i heard its an easy job....any advice??? :lol: :lol:

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:40 AM

assuming it's a carbed mini, as injection ones will sort their own timing out. You need a strobe and a tacho ( rev counter ),

Remove the vacuum advance from the dizzy and loosen the retaining nut.
Attact the strobe to cyl 1 ( the one closest to the radiator ) as per the instructions for the strobe.
Connect the tacho ( or if the one in the car is reasonably accurate use that ).
Make sure you can see the timing marks on the timing cover and harmonic balancer ( the thing the fan belt goes round on the crank ) or on the flywheel itself.
Start car, get warm and then adjust timing as per the manual (eg haynes ) for you engine, by pointing the strobe at the timing marks, and slowly turning the dizzy clockwise to advance and counter-clockwise to retard.

Edited by GuessWorks, 29 January 2005 - 08:42 AM.

#3 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:16 AM

jesus thats sound complex...though it probably not :erm:

guess i better do some homework :lol:

#4 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:05 PM

before you start doing what guessworks said, you also need to make sure that everything else is ok.

if you have points or an electronic dizzy will make a differance as well.

also when was it last serviced, and why do you need to do the timming?

unless you have had it in bits or taken something off you shouldn't need to adjust the timming

also if you have points in the dizzy and these haven't been changed or adjusted correctlly this will also put your timming out, i would look at this first before doing your timming, how is your air filter when was this last changed,

what are the symptoms you are having to make you think you need to adjust your timming

hope this helps

#5 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:48 PM

its a turbo 1293cc turbo engine thats been rebuilt....pick it up tomorrow and the seller said that engine starts just needs timing sorting :lol:

#6 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

I would suggest treating yourself to a Haynes manual, it's worth its weight in gold.

Phil. :grin:

#7 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

t@z do you know if the seller did the rebuild himself or if it was done properlly, also what other info do you have on the engine?

what cam has it got fitted, what timing chain it has and any other info you can give us please

#8 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:49 PM

Ignition timing is very important, infact almost critical on a Turbocharged motor. To much advance and you can make a serious mess of your engine, especially if the fuelling is out as well.
Nevermind setting the timing at 1,500rpm, what you need to know is what the timing is under full load. Set the timing to give no more than 28deg total advance at 5,000rpm. This SHOULD be a fairly safe base setting to begin with. As the engine is modified i would suggest a rolling road session.

Phil. :grin:

Edited by Turbo Phil, 29 January 2005 - 11:24 PM.

#9 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

i have asked seller for full engine spec for when i pick it up so hopefully i'll be able to answer some of these questions tomorrow...

i was planning on doing a rolling road session but i think i need to get the timing sorted as best as possible first.

first things first though...haynes manual

#10 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:26 PM

I'm not familiar with the turbo applications so what I'm about to say only applies to normally aspirated engines.

The prevailing wisdom of those who drive fast-street and race cars over here is similar to the recommendations of TurboPhil. With the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged the engine is raised to about 4000 RPM and held there. The ignition timing is then set to 30 BTDC. The car is then driven up hills in too high a gear to listen for pinging. If pinging is heard the timing is backed off a couple of degrees until the car can be driven without detonation. Once you've done this, you can re-check your timing at a known idle speed and record the value. You can then set your particular (unique) advance at low engine speed in subsequent tune ups.

The actual value that works best for you will depend on the distributor you're using and the condition of your engine. 30 BTDC at 4000 RPM should be considered a starting point... you'll probably back it down from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users