Photo

Gearbox / Transmission Trouble! Assistance Please!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

Assistance please people!

My MPi Non-Sportspack Cooper has done 85k and needs a new clutch. It also keeps jumping out of 4th and reverse. My questions are:-

Is the gear jumping caused by a knackered gear box or knackered clutch?
I've got a gearbox from a '93 SPi, is it the same as my '98 MPi, Diff etc?
Can the gearbox be removed from the engine block, whilst in situ?
If the engine needs to come out, just how much grief is it on an MPi car? The last engine I took out was on a '83 998 City and wasn't too much grief but those cars had an empty engine bay.

Thanks to one and all!

#2 sinister

sinister

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:50 AM

If the engine needs to come out, just how much grief is it on an MPi car? The last engine I took out was on a '83 998 City and wasn't too much grief but those cars had an empty engine bay.

The jumping out of gear,i think, is a gearbox fault. (PM GuessWorks, he knows his boxes)
As far as i know the spi box is the same, as in gear ratios, but the diff may be different. But you can swap these over. (again ask GuessWorks)
Engine really needs to be removed to change box and on an Mpi obviously there are a few more wires to remove due to all the sensors but essentially its the same as any other mini

#3 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

Assistance please people!

My MPi Non-Sportspack Cooper has done 85k and needs a new clutch. It also keeps jumping out of 4th and reverse. My questions are:-

Thanks to one and all!

Okies...MPis as a background note are renowned for having "chocolate boxes" as gearboxes. Very poorly made.

- The gear jumping is a knackered box...the fact you've got 85k out of it is a good innings - time to get it refurbished tho.

- You can fit earlier gearboxes without any trouble. The Final drive ratio will be different however- the MPi is 2.76, I think Spi is 3.1 but Sprocket knows better in that department.

- Gearsboxes on Minis can not be removed at all with lifting the whole lot out of the engine bay. Besides its generally a good thing as onces everything is out you and tidy up the greasy ridden engine bay and treat any suspect rust...also replace the clutch and tidy up the engine block while its out.

- The engine is well...depends how you look at it. The main diferences are the ammount of cables for the sensors that you have to account for, the brake servo is a bit of an obstacle, and the pressurised fuel lines. The haynes book of lies is FAIRLY accurate for the late spec injection engine removal but dont quote me on that. As for sequence of ancilery removal its up to you really.

#4 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:22 PM

Thanks to people! I was suspecting an engine out job was going to be the answer. My main problem is, is that the SPi box I've got is still in a front end damaged cooper. Having taken an engine out before I'm a bit worried on the clearance at the front. I guess its time to dust off the breaker bar and crow bar.

New question then please! From recollection on doing a non-verto clutch before, in order to get a socket on the flywheel retaining nut, plus the ratchet, requires a good bit of bending and scraping of the inner wing. Assuming I do the clutch in situ, is there a special tool to get the nut off? Or does anyone know where I can get hold of suitablly sized ring spanner, cranked or otherwise?

Also, any pearls of wisdom from anyone with experience of the MPi that could possibly save me from serious *male chicken*-ups!

Thanks to all your help!

#5 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

FD on the SPI is 2.9 MPI is 2.7 if i were you i would change to a 3.1 or 3.44 for better performance but this plays off the cruising speed of the taller diff

#6 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:27 PM

FD on the SPI is 2.9 MPI is 2.7 if i were you i would change to a 3.1 or 3.44 for better performance but this plays off the cruising speed of the taller diff

Thanks for that. Do you happen to know the RPM - MPH ratio on these different diffs? 3000rpm produces 70mph in 4th at the moment.

One other thing please, I've also got a gear box from a 1985 998cc Mayfair. Will this fit OK and are the diffs interchangable?

Cheers!

#7 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the gearbox from a 998cc '85 Mayfair will fit on my '98 MPi Cooper? Will the diffs intercahnge ok and will the 998 box handle the extra oomf?

Thanks in advance!

#8 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

There was a Cooper Sport 5 MPi with a 998 city gear box on it (as the 5 speed had well...died) at Mini in the Mud...so I'd say yes.

#9 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

Remember if you are swapping the diff, that you need to swap the pinion as well!!

The only interchangeble diffs where you dont have to change the pinion is the 3.1:1 and the 3.2:1, all other diff ratios are a matched crown wheel and pinion.

The gearbox from a 998 A+ will fit the MPi, has to be the A+ though. Nothing much changed internaly on the gearbox between all engines.

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:08 PM

SPi final drive, Cooper Non, Cooper, is 3.2:1 whatever any one tells you, I have physical evidence :w00t: Dev's an MPi man :) :xxx:

#11 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

I thought they were 2.9's?

ah well.

your right though i know my mpi's better than everything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users