#1 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:42 PM

well heres how easily we fit the nissan micra MA10 5speed to the mini.

Attached Files

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

Welding barefoot in Bermudas :withstupid:

How do you do the driveshafts?

#3 CanadianMiniFan

CanadianMiniFan

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

what year car is that from./..my dad has an old micra :withstupid: and did you use the nissan subframe, or the mini one?

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

That's a mini frame - that chalk is corrosive though!

#5 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

its the mini subframe u see in orange. the engine is the MA10 from 88 micra. on the same subframe u could do the micra turbo or the micra super-turbo (turbo+supercharger). pictured is another project am planning for christmas, its a toyota 4E engine on the nissan gearbox. we figured that small engine+small gearbox would be a nice simple fit. will surely send u guys pics when finished!

Attached Files

#6 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:19 PM

well heres how easily we fit the nissan micra MA10 5speed to the mini.

wow! you make that look easy - I'll bet this isn't the first one you've done eh?

my buddy at work is from Martinique and he has often told me that micra's out there become donors for all kinds of things - what sort of power can you get from Micra running gear?

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:21 PM

Pleased to see you're taking health 'n safety seriously 'n have put your flipflops on :withstupid:

#8 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

How do you do the driveshafts?
[/quote]

after mounting the engine cut the four half shafts to an arbitrary length(two nissan inner, two mini outer)
slide nissan inner cv joint halfway into its drivecup and mark where both shafts line up against eack other. repeat on the other side. then take apart cv joints, line up the marks uve made and measure with measuring tape. on the micramini the left is 13inches, the right is 22 1/2 inches.
take it to the machine shop wher they match the diameters of both the jap and uk shaft.
both shafts chamfered 45 degrees and welded on the lathe. an additional stainless steel sleeve is slid over the shafts and welded in. othe r machine shops may just chamfer and weld using a titanium or special rod and its guaranteed not to snap!

Attached Files

#9 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

what sort of power can you get from Micra running gear?
[/quote]

its a 1000cc engine, about 55 or 60hp without the cat. the intake and carb is really weird, it goes away from the engine then towards it in about 14 or 16 inches! hence great low end torque but could be really zippy i guess with some side drafts and 4 2 1 headers as its crossflow head.

Attached Files

#10 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

yeah, when I was looking into the micra engine, I pinched one of the Haynes manuals from work to read in my lunch break (just returned it to the shelf, I treated it like a library!) And I noticed the bizarre inlet

(very dodgy paint picture alert!)

Posted Image

Cant help but think that a decent inlet could release SO much more potential on the engine!

#11 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

This is ace.

My brother had a micra with this engine, it took abuse all day long everyday for a loooong time and just seemed to get faster and faster and never gave up!

Good stuff.

#12 mini_geek

mini_geek

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: north west minis

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:02 PM

it stands to amaze me how people with hardely any tools fuw computers etc. can make so much more they dont seem to waste anything

hats off to you guys it looks like a very good job you have done there

#13 CanadianMiniFan

CanadianMiniFan

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

you were speaking of this micra super turbo...does this use the same internals etc. and just add teh super turbo set up?
what i'm getting at is would it be easy to convert a regular 1990 engine to that spec...:withstupid: damn you for giving my ideas...possible next project, or i may convert my dads car for my use >_<...Oh, and do you know if a Canadian car would be teh 1200cc car, or the 1000cc...and again if it could be converted...(the car is badged micra, not march as the japanese ones were...)EDIT: i searched it on wikipedia, and the canadian version was 1235cc...and i think it had the ecc carb...so i think a whole engine swap would be necessary to get teh super turbo?

cheers for any reply
warren

Edited by CanadianMiniFan, 08 September 2007 - 09:32 PM.

#14 CanadianMiniFan

CanadianMiniFan

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

what sort of power can you get from Micra running gear?

its a 1000cc engine, about 55 or 60hp without the cat. the intake and carb is really weird, it goes away from the engine then towards it in about 14 or 16 inches! hence great low end torque but could be really zippy i guess with some side drafts and 4 2 1 headers as its crossflow head.

could webers go on quite easily/with some mods...?

#15 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

no reason why you can't fir a pair of webers, as the inlets are 4 perfectly spaced, circular ports. Only downside is, there seems to be bugger-all space between the engine and the brake+clutch master cylinders

by the way, that's quite an ingenious setup you're using for the brake servo. Was that something you done just for this conversion, or is that a fairly common mod in your area?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users